Buying Guide for a pH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I’d like to loose a few words regarding buying a pH meter and what to look for. Some have asked me about that via PM in the past, so I may as well write it here.

When you look for pH meters you’ll find that there are a lot of different models with a variety of features and prices ranging from $50 to $500 and once you justified the expense you’ll ask yourself what meter should I get as a brewer.

pH meters are glorified volt meters that measure the electrical potential produced by a special pH probe. What determines their quality and precision is the quality of the probe and the quality of the amplifier and analog-digital converter. The probe wears over time and you should expect that you’ll have to replace it every 2-3 years if you care for it well. The probe’s response to pH is linear. This means there is a linear function between the voltage it produces and the pH of the solution it is in. This linear function has an offset and a slope which are the parameters that are set when you calibrate it. When the probe ages the slope will deteriorate and get flatter. This means you’ll get less voltage difference for the same pH difference.

pH meters seem to come in 3 forms: pen-style, protable handheld and bench top. Bench top meters are generally the most precise, least mobile and most expensive.

When it comes to choosing a pH meter, these are the specs and features you should look for:

- precision: for brewing purposes you want to have at least +/- 0.01 .. 0.02 pH units. This is plenty for testing mash pH and good enough for detecting pH rises in beer that can be a sign of autolysis. Some meters provide only +/- 0.1 which I consider too little and you may quickly find that you would like more than that. But if the meter is cheap enough you may go with that precision if you are only interested in being in the correct mash pH range

- calibration: Two concepts exist here: manual and automatic. Manual calibration requires you to adjust 2 knobs (one for the offset (pH 7.00) and one for the slope (pH 4.00 or 10.00)) after you places the probe into the appropriate calibration buffer. Automatic calibration does this for you. It tells you what buffer to place the probe into or recognizes the buffer on its own. My first meter had automatic calibration and it failed to recognize the buffers fairly early in its life. From that point on I had to do the calibration externally by using the values read for the 4 and 7 pH buffers and the value read for the sample. I’m now a proponent of manual calibration as it is more hands-on and there is less and the meter won’t be able to refuse to calibrate

- temperature correction: pH meters come with no, manual or automatic temperature correction (ATC) . Besides the pH of the solution the pH probe is also affected by the temperature of the solution and in order to determine the pH the temperature of the solution needs to be known. But the need for temperature compensation is generally overstated since the actual pH of the solution may also change with temperature. The latter requires you to state the temp that the pH was measured at or always measure pH at the same temperature. The same is true for the calibration buffers which have their nominal pH only at 25C and this is where you should calibrate the meter. Otherwise you need to look up the pH of the solution at its actual temperature. Many buffer solutions have table that will show you these pH changes. The same is true for wort. I always measure all my pH values at 25C which means that beer needs to be heated to this temp and wort and mash samples need to be cooled. As a result I do not have a real need for a temperature compensation on the pH meter. pH meters with manual temp compensation will have a dial or other means of entering the sample temperature and ATC meters have a temperature probe in addition to the pH probe. That probe may be in the same housing as the pH probe or a separate probe altogether. The latter allows you to test the sample temp before you submerse the pH probe in a possibly hot sample.

NOTE: many brewers think that ATC means that you can test the mash pH at any temp within the pH meter’s tempo range. While this is true you still need to know the temp dependent pH shift in order to correct the pH temp to the standard temp at which the optimal pH ranges were published. Briggs and DeClerck cite a pH shift of -0.35 between a room temps and a mash temp sample while my own experiments showed only -0.18. There doesn’t seem to be much data about this shift out there and the majority of the pH values that are given for brewing are room temp pH measurements. So just b/c a meter has ATC it is not more accurate, especially if the temp to pH function is unknown.

- pH probe connection: the standard for connecting pH probes are BNC connections. If you have a meter with a BNC connection you may be able to shop around for replacement probes as you are not tied to a specific connector design. It is possible that incompatibilities still exists that I’m not aware of, so treat this statement with caution. BNC connectors are generally found on bench-top or portable meters but not on the pen-style ones.

- mV read-out: Since the slope of a pH meter can be uses to asses its age it’s nice if the pH meter also has a mV read-out. But I have not seen this on the entry level pH meters that are priced attractive to brewers

- price: I think that you can get a decent pH meter suitable for brewing applications between $50 and $100. You can pay more but the added benefit may not be worth the money and you may be better off spending this money on another neat piece of testing equipment: A dissolved oxygen meter.

After considering all these facts I personally settled on the SM101 from Milwaukee (http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/SM101.html)

You can find if for ~$80 on the web. It has an accuracy of 0.01, manual calibration and BNC probe connector. The temp correction is manual for the few cases where I want to measure non 25C samples. I have been using it for about 2 weeks now and am very pleased with it. After the initial calibration I have noticed an only very slight drift which means that I can trust the pH reading even w/o constant calibration. I check the calibration whenever I use it extensively but don’t calibrate it for occasional uses since I rarely have to change the calibration anyway.

I hope this summary helped and I didn’t misstate anything. If that is the case please correct me. After all, I’m a brewer and not a lab technician.

Kai

I'm going to ask what may be an incredibly dumb question. After reading this I thought to myself, "Couldn't I just use a volt meter and use my own chicken scratch formulas to get the pH?" I'm going to assume the probes need to be made of a specific material for this to work, or would clean non-oxidized copper work? If I were to use fine emery paper before each reading to ensure the copper is always clean with no oxidation would I always get accurate results? Obviously there is a big question of precision. Is my multimeter precise enough for pH measurements?

I'm really curious if this is realistically possible.

Scott

Nice post!

In addition to brewing, I also have been in the reefkeeping hobby for about 25 years (more reefkeeping than brewing during that span). Hopefully you will have better results than I did with the Milwaukee Instruments pH probe. Not that they are bad per se, as I have had limited results with others such as Hanna pens. However, I did find the Hanna pen to be easier to use and less costly for a replacement probe. IMHO, the biggest PITA with pens and probes of any sort is the need to calibrate frequently for best results. I'm speaking strictly from a reefkeeping standpoint. Use of the probe for brewing may be far more reliable long lasting. I concur on the pricepoint; one has to decide what makes sense of accuracy, reliablility and longevity.

IMHO, it is just as easy to use a good quality titration kit which seems to last as long or longer than the probe depending upon frequency of use. Not sure this would work too well with wort due to the color, although I haven't tried it. Also, there may be good quality test strips suitable for brewing. The next time I'm at my local micro brewery, I'll bring up the question of what they use! :)

I had a milwaukee one, and it **** the bed after 2 months, frequent calibrations were necessary with each use and it would lose its calibration if you let it sit for 24 hours. I thought it was junk.

All that said I might have had a dud, but I do know this one is awesome. Have had it for over a year, rarely needs callibration, waterproof and under $100 shipped (+- .05) and it comphensates PH with temp of liquid.

http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=002003&ProdCode=HI 98128
HI 98128 (pHep 5)

No reservations reccomending this - I am still leary of milwaukee - but just from my bad experience.

I still don't get the ATC thing. I thought that this does take the pH/temp shift into account. Mine has a temp and pH probe on the same unit so I figured that it would take the temp into account and adjust the pH accordingly?? I emailed Palmer several years ago and his input was that with ATC I would be looking for mash pH in the 5.4-5.8 range. I've always been confused as to which mash pH I should be targeting with my meter.

I have been using one of these for years HI 98128 (pHep 5) without problems the trick is to rinse well after use and store the tip in storage solution

That one is pricey. I guess for me, it was a reach to drop $100 on mine - so 147 without probes is just too much. I would rather spend the money elsewhere

Ok... I retract this. I misread the cost of the DO probe ($237, not $78)... It's cheaper to buy a Milwaukee MW600 DO Meter ($159) and a Milwaukee MW101 PH Meter ($78) which both include their respective probes.

I just wanted to do the research to see if there was any savings to get a combo unit... Pretty crazy that the electronics on these things are as expensive as they are. They have slightly more function than a standard calculator. The probe is what is doing all the work...

I bet a lot of the price is economy of scale issues too. There probably aren't tons of people buying these, so manufacturing prices keep going up. Though more home brewers are getting them, so maybe the price will start to fall. Here is to hoping

I'm going to ask what may be an incredibly dumb question. After reading this I thought to myself, "Couldn't I just use a volt meter and use my own chicken scratch formulas to get the pH?" I'm going to assume the probes need to be made of a specific material for this to work, or would clean non-oxidized copper work? If I were to use fine emery paper before each reading to ensure the copper is always clean with no oxidation would I always get accurate results? Obviously there is a big question of precision. Is my multimeter precise enough for pH measurements?

I'm really curious if this is realistically possible.

Scott

Just spotted this question because this thread was linked in to a more current one. The answer is "Yes, provided..." The provisions are that you have a good electrode and that the voltmeter has very, very high input impedance - much higher than even most FET based multimeters. So if you want to use your Fluke you will have to design (or buy) an amp to go between the electrode and the meter. In principal you could use dissimilar metals for the electrode (some cheapie soil pH testers work this way) but in practice you won't be able to get accurate and repeatable results.

You can always do your own calculations (set your meter in mV mode or use your VM with preamp) - they aren't that difficult. The electrode produces a voltage

E = Eo - s*(R*T/F)(pH(T) - pHi)

E is the electrode voltage in volts

Eo is the electrodes offset in volts - you need this number and get it from calibration

s is the "slope" of the electrode. It is a number close to 1 (often displayed by meters as 100%. If the electrode is ideal it will be very close to 1 and decline gradually as the electrode ages. This is the other number you get from calibration.

R and F are the gas constant and the Faraday constant. They can be found on the web or in textbooks

T is the temperature of the sample in Kelvins (add 273.15 to centigrade).

RT/F = 58.167 mV/pH at 20 °C (293.15 K)

pH is the thing you are trying to find and I wrote it pH(T) to indicate that it is a function of temperature (both in the case of buffers and samples being measured

pHi is the "isoelectric pH" of the electrode i.e. the pH at which the electrode is insensitive to temperature. In a modern electrode pHi is close to, and the meter's algorithms always assume that it is equal to 7.0

RT/F = 58.167 mV/pH at 20 °C (293.15 K) so you can write the electrode voltage as

E = Eo - s*(58.167*(T + 273.15)/293.15)*(pH(T) - 7)

To get s measure 2 buffers at pH1(T1) and pH2(T2). The pH values for buffers are different temperatures are found on the packages they come in or can be calculated from simple formulas. The voltages they produce are

E1 = Eo - s*(58.167*(T1 + 273.15)/293.15)*(pH1(T1) - 7)
E2 = Eo - s*(58.167*(T2 + 273.15)/293.15)*(pH2(T2) - 7)

X1 = (58.167*(T1 + 273.15)/293.15)*(pH1(T1) - 7)
and
X2 = (58.167*(T2 + 273.15)/293.15)*(pH2(T2) - 7)

are both easily calculated. That gives 2 equations in 2 unknowns

E1 = Eo - s*X1
E2 = Eo - s*X2

Subtracting gives

E1 - E2 = s*(X2 -X1) so s = (E1 - E2)/(X2 - X1)

and then

Eo = E1 + s*X1

Now to calculate pHs of a sample at Ts from the voltage, Es, the electrode produces when immersed in it

pHs = (Eo-Es)/(s*(58.167*(Ts + 273.15)/293.15)) + 7

Using this algorithm (easily set up in a spreadsheet including calculating pH1(T) and pH2(T)) you can calibrate with the buffers at any temperature and measure pH at any temperature as long as pHi is approximately 7. Modern electrodes are so good that modern meters don't allow you to set pHi. The reason I mention this is because I have an electrode with pHi = 8.6. That's no problem with this algorithm but if the meter assumes pHi =7 error accumulates where the "ATI" s forced to work i.e. if the 2 buffers are not at the same temperature at cal and if the sample is at a temperature much different. The error is small for a few degrees difference.

Thanks Kaiser for really helping sift through hours of researching on a pH meter.

And edit: ajdelange - NICE POST right above mine!!

Hi Kaiser,

Are you still a fan of this pH meter? It's been nearly 2 years since the original post, would you get it again? Thanks again for explaining the functionality.

I'm looking at the MW101, the MW102 and the PHep5. I'm curious if the benefits of the 102 makes it worth the 30-40 extra bucks, and if there is a reason to go with the Hanna over the 102, or if that's mostly a personal opinion (which it seems to be). Thanks for the input!

That's actually 15-20 bucks cheaper than the cheapest one I was able to find, thanks!

I did notice they have a picture of an MW101 up for the 102, even though it says 102 on the bottom of the device....I'm a bit confused there.
I ordered and received the 102. I also got the buffers, cleaning and storage solutions all for under $120 shipped. The shipping was a little slow, but not too bad. Most of it seemed to lie with fedex.

Strange, I just referred to the page cuz it is still up and I see the 102 pictured. Strange indeed. Nevermind. I see what you mean because of the temp calibration dail. Some art department type must have just changed the numbering on it.

I have been using one of these for years HI 98128 (pHep 5) without problems the trick is to rinse well after use and store the tip in storage solution

On this one quoted above....I noticed the max temp range is 140F......so I guess you take a sample of your mash liquid and let it cool??? (As opposed to sticking right in the Mash which will be in the typical 150F-156F range)

On this one quoted above....I noticed the max temp range is 140F......so I guess you take a sample of your mash liquid and let it cool??? (As opposed to sticking right in the Mash which will be in the typical 150F-156F range)
Yes. Not sure we ever agreed on what 'room temperature' is but using the probe on hot liquids isn't good. Shoot for 5.4 - 5.6 at 'room temperature' and you should be good.

+1 on interested in updates if available...

I just replaced my Milwaukee PH55 with the MW101 because of this thread and I am very pleased with it. The MW101, that is. The PH55 only reads to a tenth, rather than a hundredth, and seemed to be easily confused. Also, the calibration procedure was a real pain. Right out of the box my MW101 read 7.04 when testing the 7.01 solution and 4.03 for the 4.01 solution. Close enough.

One thing bothers me about the spec sheet and that is the line "1-Keyboard Calibration". What does that mean? The only thing I can think of is that it means single buffer calibration in which case I'd avoid it but I don't know that this is what the phrase means. I guess you could call and ask.

ATC is important but you do not want to stress it. You wouldn't want to use it much above 80-90 °F so the fact that this unit is rated to 90°C is immaterial.

Anybody have any experience with this Omega meter? $95 gets you a great meter (according to specs of course) and it includes a carrying case and calibration solutions. It also has a higher max temp on ATC than other meters, despite Kai's words of wisdom on ATC.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=PHH-7000&Nav=grebb02

The specs do seem great on the pH meter, but I have no clue about it's real world performance. The price is exceptional given the case, buffering solution, etc.

One thing bothers me about the spec sheet and that is the line "1-Keyboard Calibration". What does that mean? The only thing I can think of is that it means single buffer calibration in which case I'd avoid it but I don't know that this is what the phrase means. I guess you could call and ask.
Yeah, 1-keyboard calibration makes no sense to me. The kit does come with 2 buffering solutions, but it doesn't indicate whether it's 1 point or 2 points in the spec sheet. I called and spoke with the sales person, but he was clueless and said that the technical support staff was gone for the day.

In the book, Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers, they have a guide for pH meters which I list in this thread. I'm currently looking for recommendations based on those specs.

The specs do seem great on the pH meter, but I have no clue about it's real world performance. The price is exceptional given the case, buffering solution, etc.

Yeah, 1-keyboard calibration makes no sense to me. The kit does come with 2 buffering solutions, but it doesn't indicate whether it's 1 point or 2 points in the spec sheet. I called and spoke with the sales person, but he was clueless and said that the technical support staff was gone for the day.

I ended up buying this meter and it's great. It is definitely 2-point calibration, and what I think they mean by 1-keyboard is that you only have to push 1 button. It's automatic after that. Anyway, I would recommend it for sure.

Latest posts

Back