Foamy beer after adding second keg to kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjdavis

Reaction score
Ive been reading other posts about foamy beer, and didn't see the exact issue Im having....or, maybe its the same issue.

I made a kegerator and had one keg hooked up until I found some more kegs. The beer was flowing great at about 11 psi. I recently picked up a couple of more corney kegs and added one of them to my setup. Now, both kegs dispense a TON of foam....and Ive tried messing with the pressures on the CO2 tank with no change. If I release pressure in the keg, and immediately pour a glass, it comes out good. However, as I pour, I can tell its starting to get more foam.

What could cause the beer to flow fine on one keg, but once I get another in line both kegs foam? The CO2 regulator goes into a splitter, and out to each keg.

Thanks

It sounds like you seriously over carbed your second keg. It also seems that you do not have any check valves in your co² lines to prevent "cross talk" between them.

No, I don't have any check valves in my CO2 lines....is it necessary? EDIT: I checked the website of the place I bought the distribution block from, and it does say it had check valves.

I was thinking of getting rid of that distribution block and going with individual gauges so I can set each one on its own pressure.

I should say that the two kegs that are in there right now were put in at the same time, both force carbed at the same time. The single keg that I had in that flowed perfectly with no foam was before these two. Maybe I did over carb both kegs?

I did notice that both beer lines have pockets of air....

0722002021.jpg

I would guess you're over carbed. Did you carb at serving pressure? Or at a higher pressure?

I'll sometimes hit a flat keg with 30 PSI, but never for more than a day, and always after it's chilled.
Shaking at that same pressure takes about 5 minutes to carb, making it really easy to overshoot...

Thats probably what ended up happening. I didn't chill the kegs before hitting it with 30-35psi....I carbed them at the same time I put them in the kegerator. Last night I shut off the CO2 and released all pressure in the kegs, can I salvage the beer or is it done once you over carb?

Also, what could cause the air pockets in the beer lines? I don't think I have a leak, but I can check again.

Just shut off the valves on your manifolds and "burp" the kegs every couple hours until they get back to where they belong. There aren't any adverse effects that I know of from overcarbing other than really foamy beer :)

Don't worry about the air (It's really CO2 coming out of solution) in the lines. That's actually pretty common, but gets worse when you're overcarbed.

Also, 35 PSI will carb warm beer less than when it's cold. Cold water (beer) will absorb more CO2 than warm. But starting when the kegs are cold makes carbonation more predictable when you are using 3x your serving pressure. It's one less variable to your timing. It's like this - If it's already at 38 degrees, and I decide that I like it after 28 hours at 30 PSI I will try that next time. Now if it's warm, and I hit it with 30 PSI, it's going to have less carbonation after the same time. It's just another variable.

I fully understand the desire to force carb quickly - Do it myself sometimes. But once you get your pipeline built up (You have beer waiting because your taps are full) Carb those at serving pressure and temperature. It takes about 2 weeks this way, but you'll always nail it - Every time.

Back