made the Pliny clone from Austin yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
I brewed the AG version of Pliny the Elder from Austin brew supply, 150 degree mash for 60 min, no mash out, batch sparge (temp was low on the sparge, 164). OG came out to 1.068. drained the kettle through a sanitized colander. used a new aquarium pump and ceramic air stone for one hour to aerate (1st time and a hell of a lot cheaper than an O2 setup). used WL California Ale yeast.

I still can't get over the 17oz of hops in the recipe but it smells AMAZING, like the freshest of fresh hops. a taste from the hydrometer burned my tongue :rockin:

i'd like the ABV to be higher, i was considering a pound or two addition of light DME after initial fermentation subsides. i would try to use as little water as possible, boil, cool, then add and rouse the yeast.

Comments, suggestions, questions, or critiques please. thanks!

If you think it has a great hop flavor/aroma now wait till you dry hop it with ass loads of hops. I wouldn't worry about the OG. Just let it ride and you'll get an awesome beer.

I did a modified version of the Pliny the Younger that he talked about in Zymurgy - not what PTY eventually came out to be (10% super-hoppy), but what they originally intended it to be, a lower ABV version of The Elder - mine came out at only 5.8% but ~90 IBU. Basically similar hop bill to the Elder, but TONS of late addition hops with Amarillo in the dry hop schedule.

Just tapped it on Saturday and took the first taste today - seriously never had a beer burn my tongue like this one does, but its like hop euphoria. Pretty great already, can't wait for ~2 weeks from now, when its hitting its prime.

how long do you guys let it bottle condition?

3 weeks at 70 degrees if you are bottle carbing, then drink it! Pliny is meant to be consumed young. Says so right on the label. If you age it you will just lose more of the hops flavor. I brewed some Vinnie's Blind Pig (similar recipe from same brewer) a year ago and forgot about half a case sitting in my closet. It has mellowed so much it doesn't taste like an IPA anymore. Still a good beer... but the hop flavor is dramatically reduced.

Not sure how i feel about this beer yet...somedays its awesome, great bitterness, nice citrus tones. other day it tastes like pure grapefruit juice (yuck!)

I'm bottling this beast tonight. The dry hop amount is just silly, silly I tell you.

Mine has been in the keg a couple months and it smells and tastes like fresh pineapple. It's awesome. I actually like it better now than super fresh because some of the initial harsh bitterness from all the hops has faded.

I put 3 ounces of dryhops in the keg to ensure the aroma and flavor wouldn't fade and it's working wonderfully.

Enjoy this beast while it lasts. Or just brew it again...

I brewed the AG version of Pliny the Elder from Austin brew supply, 150 degree mash for 60 min, no mash out, batch sparge (temp was low on the sparge, 164). OG came out to 1.068.

Brewed mine similiar to yours on Monday. Mash somehow got hotter from the hour mash (152) and my sparge was right at 170 first go round and 168 the second. Mine came out to an O.G 1.068 as well and I don't plan on adjusting anything. The hydro sample tasted amazing! :ban:

Question: did the kit come with any dextrose corn sugar or honey to add to the brew? If not, I'd add 1lb of honey (diluted in boiled and then cooled water and shaken to dissolve) or 1lb of corn sugar to boost the gravity & dry it out a bit more. You'll thank yourself if you do.

Brewed mine similiar to yours on Monday. Mash somehow got hotter from the hour mash (152) and my sparge was right at 170 first go round and 168 the second. Mine came out to an O.G 1.068 as well and I don't plan on adjusting anything. The hydro sample tasted amazing! :ban:

lol, I'd add some dextrose (.5-1lb) to dry out that 152! :mug:

Hey Steel, I'm not familiar with adding dextrose at this point in fermenting. It's been going 17 days and has fermented down to 1.024 with a bubble still coming up every minute or so. Still add dextrose?

Hey Steel, I'm not familiar with adding dextrose at this point in fermenting. It's been going 17 days and has fermented down to 1.024 with a bubble still coming up every minute or so. Still add dextrose?

Yeah, you can- it'll just start up again. I'd boil it in as small amount of water as you can (or take out some of the beer from the fermenter and use that so you don't lose any alcohol) for a good 10 minutes, chill it to 70, then pitch it. Or, if you want to risk it, just put the sugar in without boiling it (boiling is to sanitize the sugar); I'd just be concerned about all the sugar dissolving into the beer.

But I'd just boil it in as little water as you can (I'd probably try for 1.5 cups of water) for 10-15 minutes, cool to 70, and toss it in. Shouldn't have any ill effects, it'll just dry it out a bit.

FWIW... i heard on a recent brewstrong podcast that aerating with an aquarium pump for too long a time can affect the head development on the beer. they said probably 15-20 minutes is plenty. i've used that time frame with my aquarium pump for the last few beers and it seems to be more than enough. i've also done a few with like 45 mins without any significant impact, but just thought i'd let you know. you're gonna love this beer!

FWIW... i heard on a recent brewstrong podcast that aerating with an aquarium pump for too long a time can affect the head development on the beer. they said probably 15-20 minutes is plenty. i've used that time frame with my aquarium pump for the last few beers and it seems to be more than enough. i've also done a few with like 45 mins without any significant impact, but just thought i'd let you know. you're gonna love this beer!

lol I don't have any pump or anything. I just dump the wort into the primary and shake it around a bit. /end aeration for me. All my beer have been amazing and no trouble. The longest time it took any of my beers to start was 5 hours for my very first beer. Besides that one, took less than 3 hours on the rest. I think aeration is necessary for when there isn't a starter or a huge gravity beer (if you don't have a HUGE starter). Otherwise, don't need to aerate that much lol

How much sugar for that 1.5 - 2 cups water? Sorry, just haven't had experience trying to dry out a beer yet. Sounds exciting though!

Edit: D'oh! Just saw my answer in the quote! Never Mind, I'll try this in the morning

How much sugar for that 1.5 - 2 cups water? Sorry, just haven't had experience trying to dry out a beer yet. Sounds exciting though!

Edit: D'oh! Just saw my answer in the quote! Never Mind, I'll try this in the morning

You can add up to 1lb, but I wouldn't go over that. I'd probably use around .6-.7lbs

You can add up to 1lb, but I wouldn't go over that. I'd probably use around .6-.7lbs

Hey I just got back from a weekend in Austin, checked my Pliny and it's stuck at 1.024 so...........is corn sugar the answer, or should I look at repitching?

If I repitch I have 2 packs of Safale 05. Good idea? And if not, I could do another starter with the yeast I have washed in the fridge. It's a Wyeast 1272 which I used originally. Wondering if that yeast was a good choice now since they recommended 1056. Oh well, too late now;)

Hey I just got back from a weekend in Austin, checked my Pliny and it's stuck at 1.024 so...........is corn sugar the answer, or should I look at repitching?

If I repitch I have 2 packs of Safale 05. Good idea? And if not, I could do another starter with the yeast I have washed in the fridge. It's a Wyeast 1272 which I used originally. Wondering if that yeast was a good choice now since they recommended 1056. Oh well, too late now;)

It's probably stuck because you either mashed too high (doubt it) or from temp change. I'd just warm up the area so you can wake up the yeast again. Give the primary a quick twist to stir up the yeast on the bottom if you want.. If the temp of the room it is in is above 62 or so, then I don't know what to tell you. I wouldn't re-pitch. You can add the corn sugar at any time. I'd just warm up the area the primary is in & add the corn sugar if you want.

Back