Kegerator frost prevention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, this is really bugging me, and I'm not sure what to do about it. My Haier kegerator tends to build frost REALLY quickly on the cooling coils located on the back wall. I don't live in a humid environment - New Mexico, and I don't open the door very often. I have to defrost about once a week to keep it working well. Right now there's about two weeks of frost buildup, and it's over an inch thick! Any suggestions?

On the plus side, I'm gearing up for 10 gallon AG brews!

I had the same problem with my Haier. Called the company and they asked if the door seal was good... it was. They were basically no help. I did a little more looking and they put the damn (big) drain hole right underneath the evaporator coils. Warm humid air was constantly entering and being presented to the coils. I stuffed a paper towel in the hole (test) and it pretty much stopped the icing problem. I haven't had any drain issues either. Keep in mind that every time you open the door you introduce humid air so try not to open the door very often.

Ah, that makes sense! I know exactly the drain you're talking about - I'll seal it ASAP! Wish I'd thought of that myself. I'm also thinking about adding a container of desiccant if this doesn't work.

I have the same problem. I have to defrost the sucker a couple times a year.

I would some Damp Rid if I had room, but the CO2 bottle and 3 Cornies pretty much fill the sucker up.

I'm happy with my 3 phallic faucet setup though. A gentle pull on the head gets things going just fine.

EdWort said:
I'm happy with my 3 phallic faucet setup though. A gentle pull on the head gets things going just fine.

I would ask you to never say that in public again. lol.

Reverend JC said:
I would ask you to never say that in public again. lol.

Sorry, that was last night after enjoying a few pulls. :cross:

My custom Mesquite handles, branded Beer 1, Beer 2, and Cider won't be ready for a while, so these furniture legs will have to do till then.

SWMBO says they'll make interesting conversation at the party tonight. We'll see which keg goes first.

Ah, that makes sense! I know exactly the drain you're talking about - I'll seal it ASAP! Wish I'd thought of that myself. I'm also thinking about adding a container of desiccant if this doesn't work.

Sorry to bring back a six year old thread and on my 1st post but, did this also fix your problem Yuri?

Back