1.200 20%+ 120 Minute IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose there is risk of infection without boiling... there's gonna be like 9-10% alcohol in there when I start adding the dextrose, not to mention a ridiculous amount of yeast. I've added dextrose dry to stuff before and it was fine, although that's not really saying it wont happen.

I don't think this is very likely, I would just add it dry like you are doing, and make sure everything that touches the sugar is sanitized. Sugar is hygroscopic so any baddies should have dried out and died. Same principle as pouring salt on a slug...

The nucleation problem seems it could be solved by degassing a bit by stirring before adding the sugar?

I don't think this is very likely, I would just add it dry like you are doing, and make sure everything that touches the sugar is sanitized. Sugar is hygroscopic so any baddies should have dried out and died. Same principle as pouring salt on a slug...

Don't add it dry, see my previous post in this thread and/or talk to Evan! ;)

As far as adding it wet, you can easily just make a simple syrup and add that. You can go as thick as two parts sugar to one part boiling water to start, and then boil however long you want to concentrate it even more.

I also wouldn't worry about infection (look at how many gallons of Apfelwein have been made with no boiling or anything), but the gas might be an issue. If you degass first and then add that might solve it, but I don't know.

ok, so I guess I should just try to make up like a gallon of sugar water and add in a cup morning and night. I guess im just worried about it being too thick to pour and work with. Either that or I can start adding oxygen with my racking cane/stone setup... and stir the crap outta that. Then add the sugar dry The stirring should break up the loose CO2 in there...

This is a great thread, I have been wanting to brew a monster like this but I wasn't sure about fermentation. You have a lot of valuable info on the steps required. I am interested in the degassing, I have never heard of this technique, is it simply shaking the fermenter or is there a gadget to purchase?

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Eastside

well a wine degasser is this wand jobbie with little arms that pivot out when its spun. You simply hook it to a drill and spin away. Its also a handy way to keep the wort spinning while using your immersion chiller!!! I think I'll try stirring with my O2 wand, then sprinkling a little dextrose on there. I realize the risk... i'll do a little bit and see what happens. If it turns out to be a major problem, I'll have to suck it up and make sugar water.

My 1.040 starter brew was mashed earlier.. hit 153F for an hour, sparged, and it turned out to be a tad over. I'll probably end up at around a 1.045. I guess the barley crusher kicks arse when you have room to do a 1.5qt/lbs mash. I'm 45minutes into the boil, about to add whirlfloc and servomyces in. The servomyces it supposed to help with yeast health and increase yeast numbers. I dont see any reason to not use them here... they are like a buck a pill. Pics in a little while once I get through the busy part here at the end (and cleanup).

Ended up at 1.042 on my starter bitter... I boiled it short a little and ended up putting about 1/3 gallon back in to get it over the 5 gallon line.

Ehh, not really much to see here. Its a standard all grain batch of beer. I threw in a half pound of rice hulls which REALLY made a difference with sparging. IDk, I may end up making a new 10 gallon cooler. I think it was a real benefit to have the additional headroom to have 1.5qt/lbs, plus extra room on top of that for mash out water. I nailed 80% efficiency, which I think is the highest I've gotten to. Its obvious the thinner mash, and mash out helped my efficiency.

465209100_5qYUy-L.jpg

465209140_ktM9k-L.jpg

I'm making a 120 clone tomorrow (Feb 7th) and will be using similar procedures. My plan is to keep a pitcher and whisk in a bucket of star san. A couple days after pitching I plan to pour some beer off into the pitcher, mix with dextrose using the whisk, and pitch back into the fermentor. I will be doing this twice a day.

The full details of my brew is here.

Will be interested to see how yours turns out.

hmm... more hops eh? Well.. maybe I'll add an extra ounce of Warrior or something to the sparge as I'm collecting wort... that should help it out a bit...

Lol... I dunno if you would want to drink an entire pint of this stuff. I figure I drink 4oz a night of this quad I made and its ONLY 11%!! Well.. than again I can drink an entire bottle of commercial stuff. Ehh... 1000 calories per bottle... WHATEVERRRR! LOL!

After a bunch of talk w/ my homebrew club guys... I decided i'm gonna ante up a couple more ounces of hops to kick this thing in. I figure I'll drop 2oz of summit into the first runnings pre boil, and those hops will go the entire 120 minutes. That should juice up things up quite nicely.

Mash on!!

I picked up Bobby_M's 48qt cooler yesterday... got my water heated up, milled all 17lbs of grain, preheated the cooler, and mashed in. Its at 150° right now, so I figure over the next two hours it'll drop down a few degrees. I'm getting my hops ready. I'm dropping two ounces of summit into the first runnings, preboil. The rest includes 1.5oz Warrior, 1.5oz Amarillo, and 1.5oz Simcoe. I figure the easiest way to evenly space out the additions is to put all the hops in the blender, then measure out 40 individual cups. One addition every three minutes. I added the summit in there because the commercial stuff is SUPER sweet, and I think it needs a touch more bitterness. I mean I've done 7% brews that included 7oz of simcoe... and we're talkin nearly three times the sugar, and a much higher FG.

Lol... 6.5 gallon bucket for the grain

474198370_5ZWSc-XL.jpg

474198127_K3GAG-XL.jpg

A *slight* amount of hops
474201416_DhLMd-XL.jpg

GET YOUR DRUG DEALER ONNNNN!!!

1.5oz Simcoe (pellet)
1.5oz Warrior (pellet)
1.5oz Amarillo (whole)

How to split it into 40 equal parts? IT BLENDS!

132g of weed...err... HOPS! :D

474240420_EPme5-XL.jpg

~3.3g per cup

474240505_BfeWQ-XL.jpg

Notice I put the dixies in bar glasses... this is so they don't blow away! This is why you brew (largely) sober!

474240586_JEmrP-XL.jpg

I'm gonna use a spray bottle to clean out the cups to reduce hop loss...

HA! First runnings are nearly done... just about 18.5 brix... or 1.074 pre boil. I have a little more wort to collect, so I should be pretty dead on to my 1.071 pre boil gravity.

474290694_fAePW-XL.jpg

2oz of Summit is in the bucket...

474290644_f5hg9-XL.jpg

ok... on cruise control for the next 90 minutes or so... I guess I'll do the dishes, play a little guitar, drink some more... pretty much done until its time to proof the yeast and drop in the chiller...

474325463_Y6i7z-XL.jpg

Notice my EKG all ready for a productive 2009... gotta replant them in larger pots this year. Any drag racers out there?

Hey... it leaked with water, but the mash must have plugged it up... no leaking...

Wanna stop by and crack open a bottle?

I have homeade truffles too...lol...some are coconut and curry, and the rest are classic cocoa topping...

spur of the moment partigyle!! HAHA... 3 more gallons of water are firing in the kitchen. I plan on making around 2.5 gallons of brew outta this. Tomorrow I'm making another HUGE Imperial Porter... so together they'll make some sort of porter/brown ale. Leftovers ale. Why not? I paid for the grain...

spur of the moment partigyle!! HAHA... 3 more gallons of water are firing in the kitchen. I plan on making around 2.5 gallons of brew outta this. Tomorrow I'm making another HUGE Imperial Porter... so together they'll make some sort of porter/brown ale. Leftovers ale. Why not? I paid for the grain...

I hear you there - I am trying to always plan a partygyle on beers above 1.08

Notice my EKG all ready for a productive 2009... gotta replant them in larger pots this year. Any drag racers out there?

Hahaha, noticed those slicks right off. Don't drag race much, but I do take my car (05 GTO) to the track after every mod (none in last 2 years). Of course living on Long Island means I have a long drive to E-town or Atco.

Great thread, had to subscribe to this one. Almost drank my bottle of 120 min I have, but resisted the urge and instead cracked open a 750 ml bottle of Chimay Tripel.

Well drink up and on your way to etown stop into the liquor store behind kmart on rt18s and get a 2006 120 min. replacement ;)

I tell ya what... the hardest part about this brew was drinking an entire bottle of Insanity, then trying to remember what time put my last hop addition in at! HAHAH!! I'm kinda wingin it at this point... well ... whatever works out to be 5 gallons is right ;) I got a second brew goin now too... I just tossed an ounce of saaz in there... figure 60 minutes on that and whatever... i'll drop in some notty and call that a day. I'll add more to it tomorrow...

Hahaha, brew day getting a bit long huh? Can't wait to see how this monster ferments! Keep the pictures up!

I'll have to keep that in mind when my 69 Camaro is done and time to hit the track!

Back