Kegging mistake I won't make again (cheer me up)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niquejim

Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to kegging so I thought I would throw this out there just to make sure no one else does this.
I was getting ready to keg my 50th B-day Barleywine to age until next Aug. I cleaned the keg and put 1.5 gallons of Star-san in the keg and then shook it and hit it with CO2 and ran some through the beer line, so far so good. The phone rang and I got distracted and when I added the 3.5 gallons of Barleywine to the keg and it started overflowing I realized I forgot to dump the Star-san. :mad:

And the hydro sample tasted sooooooooooooooooooooooo good

Ouch! I'll have a pint in honour of your lost beer this evening.

I only add about a litre of starsan to my keg and I just swirl it around. I use my auto-syphon to pump sanitizer through the beer out tube rather than using CO2, saves both sanitizer and CO2 and if I do rack on top of it, it's not the end of the world (or the beer).

sadly that is probably too much star-san for this to be salvaged. I'd give it a taste, but ...yeah...that sucks man :(

=BierMuncher;788890]This is why I don't answer my phone...only bad things can happen.

Condolences.

Yeah, and it was my 09/09/09 made early so it had 1+ years to age for my 50th. I guess I'll start over. Long distance the next worst thing to being there

sadly that is probably too much star-san for this to be salvaged. I'd give it a taste, but ...yeah...that sucks man :(

I don't fear the foam, but 30% nah

you could bottle the other 1.5 gallons, additionally the star san beer might still be good if it is a barley wine.

If you think about it, if the barley wine is 8% or more abv then it is only diluted down to at minimum 5.5% abv. You can probably still drink it I would, and in fact if you are planning on dumping it seriously send it my way and I will dispose of it.

Aight....i thought a ounce of star san and 5 gallons of water was sanitary....are u guys saying when u clean ur kegs u don't mix the star san with water? I am about to start kegging and i want to know if that is correct

Aight....i thought a ounce of star san and 5 gallons of water was sanitary....are u guys saying when u clean ur kegs u don't mix the star san with water? I am about to start kegging and i want to know if that is correct

Yeah, he's saying 1 1/2 gallons of the diluted solution.

For your loss:

134_3488.JPG

Seriously The Beer Is Not Lost Drink It!

I sure hope You are joking. It would probably be so acidic it would peel the flesh from your tongue. Quoted from the bottle "DANGER: Corrosive. Causes eye damage or skin burns. Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through the skin or inhaled." further down the label, "PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS: Hazards to humans and domestic animals".
Sorry this is not something I want to drink a 30% solution of even if it has been diluted down to recommended levels.

I sure hope You are joking. It would probably be so acidic it would peel the flesh from your tongue. Quoted from the bottle "DANGER: Corrosive. Causes eye damage or skin burns. Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through the skin or inhaled." further down the label, "PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS: Hazards to humans and domestic animals".
Sorry this is not something I want to drink a 30% solution of even if it has been diluted down to recommended levels.
Charlie Talley, the owner of 5 Star Chemicals, has drank Starsan before to prove it's safe. The label is just the required saftey stuff. Once the solution is diluted, the pH goes up and it's not effective anymore. Drink up.

I've drank star-san before (diluted the to the usual concentration) and although it is a bit tart, it wasn't all that bad. If you still have it, it is already done fermenting and in a keg, just chill and carb and taste. If it tastes like Satan's Anus then toss it, you'll end up brewing the BW again either way.

Brewsmith, thanks for that bit of info. I have heard a few of the podcasts and might have heard that part but don't recall. I would rather err on the side of caution and would hate to hear of a fellow HBTer's injuries due to internal acid damage so I thought it prudent to post the warning. Still not sure if I would want to drink it though. :)

I am 100% serious about drinking it, I myself have drunk star san to prove its greatness to my fellow brewers. It is harmless once properly diluted, once the PH drops below 3 it becomes inactive and can be used as yeast food. If you need a guinea pig send me a 6er of the stuff and I'll drink it on camera and post it for all to see.

I'm new to kegging so I thought I would throw this out there just to make sure no one else does this.
I was getting ready to keg my 50th B-day Barleywine to age until next Aug. I cleaned the keg and put 1.5 gallons of Star-san in the keg and then shook it and hit it with CO2 and ran some through the beer line, so far so good. The phone rang and I got distracted and when I added the 3.5 gallons of Barleywine to the keg and it started overflowing I realized I forgot to dump the Star-san. :mad:

And the hydro sample tasted sooooooooooooooooooooooo good

On the plus side, it's better you found out now than next August, right? Perhaps you could do one now and I bet it will still be good next August. What's 1 less month of aging when it comes to that long of a condition? :)

Cheers~

Back