Recipe Request: The Parting Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlatline

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to design a beer. I know what function I want it to serve, I know the name I want to call it (The Parting Glass), and since I don't have a *lot* of beer experience, I wanted to see if anyone could help me come up with a good recipe. I've done mostly extracts and steeping extracts/PMs, but I'm eventually going to make the jump to AG here within a couple paychecks and am open to just about anything.

The beer style I'm thinking of is actually probably rather light on the alcohol. I'm not looking for something particularly bitter, or something particularly hoppy. The idea is that when the night's done, and everyone has to go home, and everyone's sobering up (or more or less sober), you fill "the parting glass", down it, and say goodnight to everyone. Smooth, pleasant, and almost "dessert-ish" like a bottle of porto but not necessarily sweet like that. In this day and age, saying goodnight means driving, but I'm open at this point to any kind of a "nightcap" style beer, even going the other way for something higher in alcohol, maybe something that leaves you with that warm glow in your stomach to remind you of a most excellent night spent with good companions.

I don't necessarily need recipes I guess, but some styles or some flavor ideas would be extremely welcome and appreciated.

In case you haven't placed the title, it's a traditional Irish song of parting that I fell in love with some years ago:

Of all the money e'er I had, I spent it in good company;
And all the harm I've ever done, alas was done to none but me;
And all I've done for want of wit, to memory now I can't recall,
So fill me to the parting glass, goodnight and joy be with you all.

If I had money enough to spend and leisure time to sit awhile,
There is a fair maid in this town who sorely has my heart beguiled.
Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips, I own she has my heart in thrall,
So fill me to the parting glass, goodnight and joy be with you all.

Of all the comrades e'er I had, they're sorry for my going away,
And all the sweethearts e'er I had , they wish me one more day to stay,
But since it falls unto my lot that I should rise and you should not,
I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.

Oh, and if you *do* know the song, you're probably pissed at me right now for swapping the order of the last two verses. They seem to flow and fit better as a narrative to me, and most of the people I've known have come to sing it this way.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

Maybe a conflict of interests with the Irish song, but how about a Scottish Light 60/-. Its OG is around 1.30-1.35 and will end up being around 2-3% alcohol. Nice and malty, but not too sweet. Scottish ales are not supposed to be hoppy either, so that fits nicely with your description.

Hmm... I like that. Good idea.

It's a silly idea of mine, but then again I have silly friends. Thanks!

very familiar with the song. One of my favorite bands "The Dubliners" do an excellent version of it.. It is also the closing song of the movie "Waking Ned Devine" which I would recommend to anyone!

Back