Post your highest SG/ABV that you BOTTLED!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul23

Reaction score
Bottle conditioning is a lot different then keg/co2 conditioning. Just wondering what your highest is. If its over 1.100 post your recipe

This post is for ppl who like big beers and who bottle. :mug:

Mine... havent tried a big big one yet but 1.096 9.2abv.

Keep um comin......

I am aging a barleywine that finished way too dry, ABV is 12%. OG was 1.096, finished at 1.000... 80% maris otter, 10% flaked wheat, 8% C10, 2% C80, 8% munich. Sat on oak chips for 45 days. 50 IBU centennial @60, 5 IBU Willamette @15.

Its been in bottles for two months now, tastes like straight up scotch, rocket fuel. Expected that, so I figure I wont try another bottle till at least December.

Gixxer said:
I am aging a barleywine that finished way too dry, ABV is 12%. OG was 1.096, finished at 1.000... 80% maris otter, 10% flaked wheat, 8% C10, 2% C80, 8% munich. Sat on oak chips for 45 days. 50 IBU centennial @60, 5 IBU Willamette @15.

Its been in bottles for two months now, tastes like straight up scotch, rocket fuel. Expected that, so I figure I wont try another bottle till at least December.

That type of attenuation seems impossible without some type of infection, especially with 10% unfermentable crystal in the recipe

I did a wee heavy out if the recipe database here called something like 1413. It is awesome and the ABV came in at exactly 10%. It's been aging for about 17 months and it is pretty freakin' spectacular.

That type of attenuation seems impossible without some type of infection, especially with 10% unfermentable crystal in the recipe

I agree. I had a second set of eyes looking at the hydro cause I did not believe it either, and I have checked my hydro in water for calibration. Maybe the alcohol taste was so strong it could have covered up any off flavors if it were infected... Who knows.

RIS that started at 1.110, finished at 1.025 and 11.0% ABV. Added a fresh pack of S-05 at bottling and every bottle carbed up just fine.

We'll see. I have an English-style barleywine sitting in the secondary right now. It was 1.110 or so. It's stuck at 1.040 right now because of that darn finicky 1968 yeast. I put 3.5 gals of the BW on the cake from a 5 gal batch of a 1.045 bitter and it still crapped out. Anyway, I'll brew a Centennial Blonde or a Cream of three Crops with US-05 and put the BW in THAT cake to finish 'er up.

Should be a boozy one, but ill wait a year for it to be ready. Sample tasted great so I'm excited for this one.

JonM said:
I did a wee heavy out if the recipe database here called something like 1413. It is awesome and the ABV came in at exactly 10%. It's been aging for about 17 months and it is pretty freakin' spectacular.

Oh, this one took about a year to really carb up. It was a little fizzy starting at about 6 months, but at about 1 year, it was perfect with a big rocky head that lasts and lasts.

I have a BDSA that is at 11%. I just bottled it so I will taste it in several months. But the sample at bottling was delish.

I brew a lot of Belgians so I have many in the 9-10% range at various stages of aging.

OG 1.112 attempt at Rochefort that I tried to brew in the days before Beersmith. Came out around 1.025 FG which put it at 11.6% ABV. Let's just say it was "drinkable" even after a year and a half in the bottle.

I have a Pumpkin Porter that ended up 10.67abv. I tried one a few weeks ago and it's coming along nicely. I'm hoping it mellows with some time on it.

1.120 s.g, 1.030 f.g barley wine. 12% alcohol for 12/12/2012. Not bottled yet, but the sample tasted incredible. :)

I did a Belgian Quad that went from 1.113 to 1.022 (12%). Bottled it after 3 months and it was delicious as soon as it carbed up (another month). Pitched most of a yeast cake for this one.

I've done two batches over 9% Abv, both starting around 1.080, a biere de garde and a wheatwine. I added cuvee yeast on the wheatwine when I bottled after the BdG took two months to carb.

Whenever I get my bigger mash tun done, I'll be making some higher grav beers. I'll need to be able to brew 10 gallon batches to have enough to be doing verticals of my favorites over the years.

I have a 1.150 @ 18% Bourbon Barrel Barleywine and a 1.130 @ 12% Imperial stout in bottles. They are at 8 and 5 months respectively. Both are flat, I knew the risk, I took it and I lost.

I have a 1.150 @ 18% Bourbon Barrel Barleywine and a 1.130 @ 12% Imperial stout in bottles. They are at 8 and 5 months respectively. Both are flat, I knew the risk, I took it and I lost.

Did you add yeast when you bottled and if so, what kind? Is monster ABV stuff like world wide stout bottle conditioned?

Did you add yeast when you bottled and if so, what kind? Is monster ABV stuff like world wide stout bottle conditioned?

I added some WLP099 Super High Gravity Yeast to bottle the barleywine. I should have conditioned the yeast to some high alcohol environment but didn't. It probably died on contact.

I really don't get the point of this thread (why only bottlers can play), but my 17.5% barleywine, that a lot of folks on here supported me in brewing for either my memorial before my surgery or my 50th birthday in 2 years, is aging for a year in my oak barrel will be bottle conditioned.

I really don't get the point of this thread (why only bottlers can play), but my 17.5% barleywine, that a lot of folks on here supported me in brewing for either my memorial before my surgery or my 50th birthday in 2 years, is aging for a year in my oak barrel will be bottle conditioned.

I think it's because kegging a high abv beer is the same as kegging a low abv beer, while bottling a high ABV beer is generally considered to require special techniques.

My highest OG brew to date was a 1.123 barley wine. I cheated and keg carbed it before filling bottles with my beer gun. Cheater! :D

Just bottled a 1.101 OG Creme brûlée stout clone about 3 weeks ago. It was only 9.5% though since it finished at 1.030 with the lactose. Already perfectly carbed at 3 weeks. Just needs to mellow out a bit. I didn't add any yeast at bottling.

I'm brewing a dopplebock tomorrow with a SG of 1.095 and an ABV of 9.4%. Anyone know what the FG is suppose to be, not sure how to figure that out. Any tips before I brew?

I'm brewing a dopplebock tomorrow with a SG of 1.095 and an ABV of 9.4%. Anyone know what the FG is suppose to be, not sure how to figure that out. Any tips before I brew?

Do you have a hydrometer? That's the most common way to measure Original Gravity and Final Gravity. Just make sure to correct for the temperature of the wort or beer you are measuring.

My strongest have been an Imperial Red, 1.106 to 1.022, a Brett Tripel, 1.085 to 1.013 with WLP500 and down to 1.008 with Brett B, a Wee Heavy at 1.088 to 1.018, and an RIS from 1.090 to 1.020.

Hey Revvy, meant no disrespect for the keggers. I envy you guys.

I started this bc I wanted to see how high some ppl go and can still bottle carb. I wanted to make a DFH120 but heard you cant bottle carb it bc of the high abv. Just curious since im a big fan of big beers. :D

Some folks pitch champagne yeast at bottling with priming sugar to get high ABV beers to carbonate. I do not know offhand what the ABV limit is for champagne yeast, but I pitched some in my barleywine and it carbonated in a couple weeks.

Back