best way to start kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
Ok so i have been brewing for a while now and i am ready to keg. looking for advice as the best and cheapest way to go about it. I already have a chest freezer and a temp controller. the chest freezer is big enough that i could easily put 6-8 kegs in it plus a CO2 tank. I am looking to start with at least a 6 keg set-up. any ideas are welcome and appreciated!:rockin:

You already have the hard part. If you want to start slow all you need is a CO2 tank, CO2 regulator, a keg, some disconnects and a pony tap (hand held thumb valve). Then you can enjoy one of your kegged beers while pondering the next step.

But if you want to go all out and serve from 6 taps all at once, you will need the following:
------------------------------------------------------
A wooden coller that fits between the lid & body of the freezer - provides a place to mount your beer faucets. Also, you need the beer shanks & faucets & tap handles.
Or
A nice 6 tap T-tower that you can mount on the lid. You will also need a beer tower cooler to blow cold air into the tower & keep the beer shanks cold.

8 - 10 kegs - you need more than 6 to serve from 6. Probably the best source for used kegs today is www.kegconnection.com in Texas.

6 disconnect sets

At least 36' of 3/16" beer line & at least 20' of 1/4" CO2 line.

CO2 tank & regulator

Secondary regulator set - because with this many beers you will likely be serving different beers at different pressures. How many secondary regulators you need depends on the number of different pressures you need.

Manifolds or stainless steel Tees to split out the CO2 lines.

I got 3 NOS corny kegs from a friend of mine that works for a distribution joint. I bought all of other my items from my LHBS. I started with hoses, faucets, reg, etc for only 1 keg since I had just started brewing and wasn't sure I wanted to drop cash on the whole thing...although the kegs, being brand new, cost me a bit.
I now have a full 3 keg setup and I spent ALOT.
Ebay sellers sell a full kit that includes everything you will need, including kegs and an empty co2 bottle for damn near half of what I have invested in my rig. That's what I should have done. If you are patient, lurk the BST section here at HBT, and you will get all you need.
I bottled my first batch and decided I was to lazy/impatient for that. Kegs all the way now, until I brew my RIS I have planned.

You already have the hard part. If you want to start slow all you need is a CO2 tank, CO2 regulator, a keg, some disconnects and a pony tap (hand held thumb valve). Then you can enjoy one of your kegged beers while pondering the next step.

But if you want to go all out and serve from 6 taps all at once, you will need the following:
------------------------------------------------------
A wooden coller that fits between the lid & body of the freezer - provides a place to mount your beer faucets. Also, you need the beer shanks & faucets & tap handles.
Or
A nice 6 tap T-tower that you can mount on the lid. You will also need a beer tower cooler to blow cold air into the tower & keep the beer shanks cold.

8 - 10 kegs - you need more than 6 to serve from 6. Probably the best source for used kegs today is www.kegconnection.com in Texas.

6 disconnect sets

At least 36' of 3/16" beer line & at least 20' of 1/4" CO2 line.

CO2 tank & regulator

Secondary regulator set - because with this many beers you will likely be serving different beers at different pressures. How many secondary regulators you need depends on the number of different pressures you need.

Manifolds or stainless steel Tees to split out the CO2 lines.

Ok so since it seems that going to 6 right off the bat is going to be extremely pricey! i am probably going to start with one and add to that. besides the poney tap which i know i wont be using once complete, will i be able to use everything else i buy for just the one set-up? i guess i could buy one keg at a time with pony taps since they are cheap right? then once i have all the kegs buy the nice taps. i just dont have like 400+ to do the whole setup at once. maybe someday, but not today...haha!
:mug:

Something like this
image-1191979546.jpg

image-44828127.jpg

Thats amazing! i want one! So is this mounted on a chest freezer? i think this is something that i want
later on down the line. def dont have money for it now, but would def like to start piecing this together! any links as to plans how to make something like this?

Ok so since it seems that going to 6 right off the bat is going to be extremely pricey! i am probably going to start with one and add to that. besides the poney tap which i know i wont be using once complete, will i be able to use everything else i buy for just the one set-up? i guess i could buy one keg at a time with pony taps since they are cheap right? then once i have all the kegs buy the nice taps. i just dont have like 400+ to do the whole setup at once. maybe someday, but not today...haha!
:mug:

It costs about the same to start off slow, plus yuo can take the time to look for keg deals.

do you have any other pics as to how it attaches to the top of the freezer so it doesnt need the collar?

I removed the plastic liner and seal from the top added furring strips to reinforce the top and around the outside of the top then screwed the bottom boards for the coffin. Pm me an e-mail address and I can send you some pics from the build.

Back