Dorm Fridge Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derick_Z

Reaction score
I've got two minifridges that I don't need, and wanted to convert 1 or both to kegerators. I've already got a 2 tap ball-lock setup with a 5lb CO2 tank, but had a question about the actual conversion.

On one fridge, the freezer compartment is easily removed with a single screw, and the coolant lines run through the top of the fridge. I'm almost positive I wouldn't have to remove the door shelves for this one to work. The second one has the more traditional freezer portion where I'd have to thaw it out and *carefully* bend the freezer bottom down, as the coolant lines run through it. This would leave it flush against the back of the fridge. With this fridge I'm fairly sure (but not positive) that I'd have to remove the shelves from the door.

I had originally thought I'd just set the thermostat as high as it goes then turn it down and fine-tune until I'm sitting around 40, but now I'm worrying that the fridge might not be able to be that high if I expose the freezer section.. Anybody have any experience? I'd like to avoid temperature controllers and all that nonsense if possible.

I may just try it out and see what temperature it holds at, and if it's too low I'll have to invest in something..

Thanks

Oh just go ahead and try it.

I've got two dorm fridges under my bar...one with a two tap tower through it and one for bottles/cans.

No temptroller and neither are even set at full cold and my beer is frostee!

Remove the freezers, bend down the coils, turn it on and toss a thermometer in it and test the temp.

Adding more "space" to the fridge by removing the walls of the freezer will most likely not affect the cooling capability...in fact, I think a lot of dorm fridges bleed freezer air to the fridge portion for cooling anyway.

You should have nothing to worry about except possibly cliping a cooling line along the top if you install a tower.

Search the forum threads...I'm certain you'll find plenty of info on where to drill and not drill, based on your model of fridge.

Best of luck.

Thanks! For now I'm sticking with party taps unfortunately, but I'm hoping Santa is going to bring me some perlicks. I'll post here when I get everything up and running so others can find it if necessary. (Won't be until mid January, probably :()

I have a similar fridge model that I easily converted to a small kegerator.

After burning through one fridge by moving the freezer section downward and drilling a hole through a coolant line, I found its easiest to use a 3 gallon corny with the shank and faucet coming through the door. The door is only foam so you wont risk hitting any lines. (i suppose you could use a 5 gallon corny if it would fit)

I found that when I initially tried to bend the freezer panel downward, it was responsible for cooling the rest of the unit, and thus did not deliver an even temperature. Things higher would be fine, lower would freeze, middle would be good to go.

This wasnt scientific or anything, but I found that leaving the freezer section in place and putting the 3 gal corny and 5lb co2 directly below it fit perfectly. I have room for a regulator and everything. The tap comes directly out the door and I didnt have to remove any door shelves at all. Perfect for glass ware. You can also cut the small plastic tray under the freezer and mount it on the door as a drip tray with a tube back into the fridge into a bucket and paint it black or silver or rainbow or whatever...... Cheers

Back