Fungus in beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdgillis

Reaction score
Hey, new to this site but I've been brewing for a while now. I have recently gotten back into brewing after taking a year off and my beer has some popcorn like chunks growing just under the surface near the top. It's in secondary and this is the 3rd week. At first I thought it was krausen but I've done many batches and have not seen anything the likes of this before. The last places I have lived I've always used filtered water but the faucet I have here wont support a water filter so I'm thinking something may have gotten in through the water? Anyone know what this is.

image.jpg

Pics are kinda hard to see clearly but based on your description it's likely nothing. Yeast rafts, coagulated protein, etc are the likely culprit.

I personally have not had an infected batch yet but I've done a lot of reading about it on here. I read in another thread about the exact thing you are describing. I've also had similar "symptoms" if you will, in a couple of my batches and they've been fine.

Brew on.

Wily

You definately have fungus in that beer, seeing as yeast is a fungus. Looks normal from the pics as far as I can tell with all the glare.

Yeast is a fungus.....I think you were meaning to say mold;). However I agree with what was said above.

That's good to know. Ive been using white labs yeast, I usually do partial mash but was looking for something easy to brew to get back into it and have never used the dry yeast that comes with an extract kit. I still haven't seen anything like this before but hey. I'm gunna bottle next week and have a time!

yeast rafts. I almost threw out a batch before I realized what they are. Ive had them in at least 4 batches, not a problem.

Give it a week and they'll turn into little pockets of bubbles I just got finished freaking out that my beer was infected with the same thing lol

image-3977736817.jpg

See

Attachments

• image-2178798314.jpg
    image-2178798314.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 251

Latest posts

Back