Conditioning: warm vs cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
I have limited refrigerator space so I have a hard time cold conditioning enough of my beers as I'd like. My mini fridge can hold about 50 beers. My concern is the difference conditioning the beers at room temp (here, that's usually 75 high and 50 low) vs conditioning them in the fridge. I haven't had enough experience to notice the difference myself. :drunk:

Steiner said:
My concern is the difference conditioning the beers at room temp (here, that's usually 75 high and 50 low) vs conditioning them in the fridge.

50 - 75 is a rather large swing and the beer won't like that. Good conditioning temperatures are generally between the low 40s and upper 50s with minimal swing. Try to get as many into the fridge as you can and try to find a place with a more stable temperature for the others.

Kai

At the very least, insulate the rest of the beer to minimize the temperature swings. Build a box out of rigid foam, buy a bunch of blankets or sleeping bags; protect the beer.

Ok thanks. I doubt the temperature really swings that much. That's the outside temperature according to weather.com and my beer is pretty well protected and insulated in my room. I'll try and minimize the temperature changes using those tips. It's just that I don't have much space in the fridge. How long would you recommend as a general rule for cold conditioning the beer after several weeks of warm conditioning?

Ok thanks. I doubt the temperature really swings that much. That's the outside temperature according to weather.com and my beer is pretty well protected and insulated in my room. I'll try and minimize the temperature changes using those tips. It's just that I don't have much space in the fridge. How long would you recommend as a general rule for cold conditioning the beer after several weeks of warm conditioning?

At least 72 hours is a good rule of thumb, but a week is better. I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Palmer's Lear to Brew. Here is a link from the first edition, which is available completely free online:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-3.html

Generally longer is better when it comes to conditioning. I firmly believe that my love of beer was given to me to teach me patience. Beer requires patience in everything, and I'm not a very patient person. Oh the crosses we bear......

Back