Hard Apple Cider advice please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
Howdy Folks!

Forgive me, but I also posted this question on the thread mentioned here-in to try and get a quick response.....

I have a bunch of fresh apples that I just picked, and I want to make something similar to this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/daves-carmel-apple-cider-244656/index9.html . All I have is Safale S-04... Any thoughts on using that instead of Notti? I also have Red Star, Cote des Blancs and Assmanhausen (crazy name!) Dry wine yeast, but I really don't want a dry, high octane wine. I'd really rather have something a little sweeter with a lower ABV, so I'm hoping the S-04 will work. My LHBS is out of Notti, and these apples need to be processed today before going bad...

Thanks for any advice!
Mike

I love S-04! In fact I can't determine if I like Notty or S-04 better but those are the main two I use.

I wish I could help you I've never used any of those yeasts for cider, I've just got my hands on some Notty, I had to special order it here. I've used coopers brewing yeast and it had pretty good results

I love S-04! In fact I can't determine if I like Notty or S-04 better but those are the main two I use.

When you say they are the main two that you use, do you mean for cider? Or beer?

I've used both for beer a number of times, but never for cider...

I've used both and I like US-04 better it leaves less of a yeasty ale flavor than the Notty. I'm not a beer drinker so neither of them are things I'm going to use going forward, but they both get the job done for cider.

Won't the S-04 ferment it out to dryness, too?
I am not experienced with this yeast; I usually use wine yeast and make applejack or apple wine.

I prefer mine dry, so never considered using an ale yeast or back-sweetening, but does this work?

Won't the S-04 ferment it out to dryness, too?
I am not experienced with this yeast; I usually use wine yeast and make applejack or apple wine.

I prefer mine dry, so never considered using an ale yeast or back-sweetening, but does this work?

I believe a wine yeast will attenuate more than the S-04, but I'm really just guessing on that. People do indeed back sweeten. If you read the thread in the link I posted above, you'll see where lots of people have done it. A few had issues with bottle bombs, but I'm hoping I'll be ok. I don't plan on using quite as much sugar concentrate when I bottle, so I think it will be ok. I should mention, I've never made cider. I've only made wine and beer..

Wine yeasts are typically "hard to get rid" of by racking in my experience with them. Notty and S-04 are considered higher flocculating so they're easier to carefully rack off of.

And yes, most wine yeasts will generally attentuate more than ale yeasts. I know that because I like sweetness and flavor left over.

Thanks again for the advice. Everything went well. My homegrown apples made a very good cider. Do you guys wash your yeast and save it for future cider batches? I'm guessing since I'm using S-04 to ferment dextrose instead of maltose that it mutates...

Here's some photos of my "cider day"...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/first-hard-apple-cider-pics-350009/
I have washed and reused a Belgian and an English Ale both without a problem. I liked the initial result of both of those from White Labs plus they were also pricey so I thought I could get some bang for my buck;)
As far as with S-04 (and Notty too), after racking and leaving the lees behind, I have just dumped more fresh juice on top within a couple days. No noticeable difference except the second time around, the fermentation started within a few hours and it was done much quicker. Hope this helps.

Back