Size of wrench needed for 5500W ULWD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruelkix

Reaction score
I dont have one in front of me and I want to stop at the hardware store on the way home from work.

Does anyone know what size the hex is on the end of the element? I want to pick up a socket for it to make life easier in my potted installation.

Thanks!

I find myself thinking it's 1.5", but I would love some verification. Can't find a technical drawing for it online ... the interwebs have failed me!!!

I'm trying to envision how you would use a socket on an element. I've always just used channellocks.

I'll take a picture when I get home of WHY I need a socket for this, so people understand what the hell I am doing, haha.

Ok so this is why I wanted a socket:

The 1" nut is welded to the side of my kettle. The heating elemnt slides through the hole in teh electrical box and the washer and the oring go over it to seal against the nut.
IMAG0094.jpg

Like this:
IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

Then the Heating element threads into the nut, holding the eletrical box tight up against the kettle:
IMAG0098.jpg

No as you can imagine, getting a 1.5" wrench into the box to tighten it to the welded 1" nut is rather difficult. This is where the socket works perfectly.

Stout on nitro and wrench with 1.5" big ass socket. $18 at Ace + $10 for a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, cuz 1.5" sockets only come with 3/4" attachments (or at least that's all Ace had):D
IMAG0099.jpg

Back