High gravity beer with kolsch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod

Reaction score
Anyone tried fermenting out a higher gravity beer with Kolsch yeast? I'm thinking about making a basic beer (Amer. Wheat) with Kolsch yeast, then when it's done, dropping a Imperial IPA on top of the lees. I'm not thinking super huge, but still 1.085-1.090 OG. White labs lists WLP029 as "medium" alcohol tolerant, not entirely sure what that means...
Thoughts?

Most yeast perform pretty well up to 10%, and you can usually push them past that with some care. I wouldn't worry about the yeast not being able to handle 1.090.

Most yeast perform pretty well up to 10%, and you can usually push them past that with some care. I wouldn't worry about the yeast not being able to handle 1.090.

+1 if your pitching on the whole yeast cake you shouldn't have a problem. I would however use yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and O2 on the new wort if possible.

+1 to all the above. the highest I've used it with was 1.075 (IIPA as well) and it ripped thru that (1.012 FG).

Especially with a Kolsch yeast that is 'lager-like' in its flavor profile. Overpitching is probably less of a factor in that case. Just know that there won't be much of an ale profile to it.

This is an educated guess on my part though since I've never done this...

Especially with a Kolsch yeast that is 'lager-like' in its flavor profile. Overpitching is probably less of a factor in that case. Just know that there won't be much of an ale profile to it.

This is an educated guess on my part though since I've never done this...

Same here, but that was my reasoning.
I'll definitely make sure to get some nutrient and O2 mixed in as well.

Remember that higher gravity usually increases the amount of esters/phenols that a yeast throws, so be sure that you really like that kolsch-y flavor, because it will be doubled-up at those gravities.

I will be brewing what I am calling a Polish Tripel with 65% Pils, 10% rye, and 25% honey. All Lublin hops. Figures on being 1.091. Will use the Imperial Yeast G03 (Dieter) which is akin to WLP029. Pitching to 1.5 Million cells/ml/P.

I'm super excited and will let you know how it turns out.

I'm considering a high gravity kolsch with 2565. Both primaries are full, but I have a 3 gallon carboy sitting around with nothing to do. Thinking of staying true to the kolsch character, but bigging it up to be more of a dubbel. Maybe 7.5% abv, 80% 2Row, 10% Vienna, 10% sugar (light belgian candi?) and couple ounces of Hallertauer Tradition.

Finished the high gravity kolsch beer. Turned out much lower than intended. Retooled it to start at 1.084 and got 1.074. A point or two from the boil, but otherwise the honey didn't yield as much fermentable sugar or it didint disperse as well in solution despite being added into the boil.

The beer took about 2 weeks at 65 and a week at 70 to fully round out. Finished at 1.013 (82% AA - 8.6% ABV). Coming out of the fermenter it tasted great.

In the interest of giving these as gifts I skipped lagering. Into champagne bottles at 3.0 vols. After a month in the bottle (in time for Christmas) it was still too sweet and had a yeasty bite. I think it was a lesson in adding fresh yeast at bottling.

I decided to give instructions of leaving the beer at room temp until 1/15/17 and fridge until 2/15/17.

I prematurely popped a bottle last week and it has come so far! The Pils malt is not nearly as crisp as I wanted, and the honey adds a bit of heat, but it is a complex beast almost a blend between a barleywine and a Tripel. Good strong maltiness balanced by flowery Lublin hops that finishes dry and spicy with an almost Belgian character.

I'll definitely make his beer again, and I recommend it as an experiment. Every batch is a lesson and this or will surely teach.

Back