Boudin Blanc is Kids Play

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son (twisting links) and his buddy (cranking) making Boudin (blanc - no blood).

Anyone else enlist the rugrats to work in the kitchen?

IMG_02663.JPG

IMG_02502.JPG

IMG_02572.JPG

IMG_02723.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
what stuffer is that? I'm thinking about getting one about that size ever since my one experience with that terrible kitchenaide attachment

Looks good. Care to share the recipe?

Nice sausage press you got there!

Flavor is great, but sausage falls apart when cut. I think there was too much rice / onions.

Here's the one I followed.

Boudin Blanc
Boudin Blanc (or "white Boudin") is a wonderful Cajun sausage stuffed with pork and rice. Boudin is the French term for the blood sausage, or "pudding," made with the blood of the pig. Boudin Blanc is a white sausage made with pork but no blood. It's one of those food products that originated in frugality; the rice was meant to stretch the meat. Now, it's a unique and delicious treat all on it’s own.
• 3 three foot long lengths hog sausage casing
• 3 lbs. boneless lean pork, trimmed of excess fat and cut into1 1/2 inch chunks
• 4 cup coarsely chopped onions
• 1 medium bay leaf, crumbled
• 6 whole black peppercorns
• 5 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
• 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley
• 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green onions
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
• 2 12 cup freshly cooked white rice
• 1 Tablespoon dried sage leaves
• 2 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper​
Put the pork in a heavy 4-5 quart casserole and add enough water to cover it by 1 inch.
Bring to a boil over high heat and skim off the foam and scum that rises to the surface. Add 2 cups of onion, the bay leaf, peppercorns and 1-teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chunks of pork to a plate. Put the pork, the remaining 2 cups of onions, the green pepper, parsley, green onions and garlic through the medium blade of a food grinder and place the mixture in a deep bowl. Add the rice, sage, cayenne and black pepper and the remaining 4 teaspoons of salt. Knead vigorously with both hands, then beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and fluffy. Taste for seasoning.
Stuff sausage into casings.
You can cook the sausages immediately or refrigerate them safely for five or six days.
Before cooking a sausage, prick the casing in five or six places with a skewer or the point of a small sharp knife.
Melt 2 Tablespoon of butter with 1 Tablespoon of oil in a heavy 12-inch skillet set over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside, place the sausage in the skillet, coiling it in concentric circles. Turning the sausage with tongs, cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until it is brown on both sides.​

I had a friend bring me back 20lbs of Boudin from his Mardi Gras trip. Man they didnt last long at all. And when youre smoking them.......holy sh&t they're amazing

That's my first guess. You don't have to grind it smaller, just mix it longer (we leave big chunks of unground meat and fat in ours). I don't know how to describe when the emulsification is done, but whenever you think it's done, go for 5 minutes longer. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

That's my first guess. You don't have to grind it smaller, just mix it longer (we leave big chunks of unground meat and fat in ours). I don't know how to describe when the emulsification is done, but whenever you think it's done, go for 5 minutes longer. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

what are you grinding in? I need to get this to a paste.

Sorry...no pics...Next time, I'll get one...Also, try a little milk powder. It helps with the emulsion. This is all assuming you can get an emulsion with your recipe. I'm no expert in charcuterie, I just know that I was told if it falls apart I failed with my emulsion.

When I'm making emulsified meats, I just put it in my cuisinart food processor a bit at a time. The trick is to keep the meat cold while processing. What I do is take several cups of crushed ice and put it through the food processor first, so that I have a bowl of fine snow set aside. Then I mix some in with the meat in the processor (about 3 parts meat to 1 part snow). This will also add a little airyness to the finished product, and it will hold together nicely.

When I'm making emulsified meats, I just put it in my cuisinart food processor a bit at a time. The trick is to keep the meat cold while processing. What I do is take several cups of crushed ice and put it through the food processor first, so that I have a bowl of fine snow set aside. Then I mix some in with the meat in the processor (about 3 parts meat to 1 part snow). This will also add a little airyness to the finished product, and it will hold together nicely.

Thanks. That is exactly what I will do.

Another tip when making the sausages is to spin every other sausage, instead of every sausage as your guys were doing it. Finished sausage... enough filled casing for two sausages, but pinche with your fingers in both places and spin. This way each spin makes two sausages, and doesn't mess with the twist in between. Hope this makes sense.

Another tip when making the sausages is to spin every other sausage, instead of every sausage as your guys were doing it. Finished sausage... enough filled casing for two sausages, but pinche with your fingers in both places and spin. This way each spin makes two sausages, and doesn't mess with the twist in between. Hope this makes sense.

Hey, that's a great idea! I'm going to try that this wkend. Thanks.

i don't understand your recipe and using trimmed meat, then cooking it and leaving the fat out. there isn't much for your emulsion unless the rice is overcooked but that kind of defeats the point of 'cheap' boudin... right? i haven't made boudin, i know i've read over some recipes but i can't remember the details. i mean with rillettes you cook the meat then cream it together with fat and it is 'brown jelly'. your recipe just seems on the dry side for it stick together.

but if you were happy with the flavor and have plans to make more, ignore me. i'm just trying to help. charcuterie was my favorite class in culinary school and i'm always itching to have an excuse to make something.

i don't understand your recipe and using trimmed meat, then cooking it and leaving the fat out. there isn't much for your emulsion unless the rice is overcooked but that kind of defeats the point of 'cheap' boudin... right? i haven't made boudin, i know i've read over some recipes but i can't remember the details. i mean with rillettes you cook the meat then cream it together with fat and it is 'brown jelly'. your recipe just seems on the dry side for it stick together.

but if you were happy with the flavor and have plans to make more, ignore me. i'm just trying to help. charcuterie was my favorite class in culinary school and i'm always itching to have an excuse to make something.

It's a bad recipe. Seriously, don't follow it. The sausages did NOT stay together and were generally a failure.

The only thing good that came out of it was that my son and his friend made them. They had fun.

Never been to Louisiana, but I love the food. From what I have read Boudin Blanc is not really a 'bound' or emulsified sausage. It's more like a pork dressing in a casing. The recipe on this thread looks very similar to every other recipe I've seen.

I have purchased a variety of Boudin Blanc here in Louisville made with raw pork instead of cooked. It has a texture like any other fresh pork sausage such as (non emulsified) Bratwurst or italian sausage. Rice is steamed, plus usual veggies and cajun spice. I really like it, and it is really good off the smoker. The raw pork binds it.

Perhaps a different approach will meet your expectations, but I would not whip a cooked rice mixture trying to emulsify it. I would think that the gummy rice would not be yummy.

As a side note, I have been thinking of taking a small quantity of cooked Boudin, maybe 1/2 cup and using that for stuffing a butterflied farm raised rainbow trout and cooking that on the smoker.

Flavor is great, but sausage falls apart when cut. I think there was too much rice / onions.

Coming from someon who eats boudin on a regular (too regular) basis, most of it will fall apart when cut. I'm not a real fan of the mashed up pasty style anyway, although I won't turn it down!

Coming from someon who eats boudin on a regular (too regular) basis, most of it will fall apart when cut. I'm not a real fan of the mashed up pasty style anyway, although I won't turn it down!

Well, that's very interesting. It's funny, I made something that I HAVE NEVER HAD and then decided that I screwed it up, based on... nothing.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll not make this one again until I have some samplings of the real thing.

(BTW, made 10# of brats today)

Back