Chicago Brewpubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMKsuburbannoise

Reaction score
I live in NW Indiana and have been to a few:

SouthShore in Michigan City, IN

Three Floyds in Munster, IN

Revolution on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago

Flossmore Station in Flossmore, IL

anyone got any other good ones within an hour of Chicago?

I've never been, but I've heard good things about Rock Bottom. I know there is a location in Orland Park, and I think there are a few more in the area.

If you are willing to hit up an awesome beer bar try the Tribes Alehouse in Mokena, IL. They get a few really good ones occasionally, like the time they had Bell's 9,000 on tap.
http://www.tribesalehouse.com/beer-list

Crown Brewing in Crown Point is putting out some very nice beer, (they also host our HomeBrew club), you can't go wrong with Goose Island.....

If you just want to try different craft beers, Beer Geeks in Highland is a very good spot, too. Not a brewpub, but they carry a lot of different smaller craft beers.

oh yeah, i've been to Rock Bottom. it's ok. I FORGOT HARRISON'S IN ORLAND PARK. AMAZING WHEAT BEER. BEST WHEAT I HAVE HAD.

Just opened is Haymarket Brewery in the West Loop area downtown on 737 Randolph. They brew on site as well as serve a ton of the local craft beers. Pete Crowley is the owner/brewer and used to brew at Rock Bottom. Supposed to be THE place for Craft Beers. Haven't made a visit yet (opened just before Xmas).

There's a little place in Geneva called Stockholm's that's not bad:
http://www.stockholmsbrewpub.com/

I can't speak much for their food one way or the other, but the beers I've had there aren't bad. Come to think of it, it's been a good long while since I've been there (which is kinda lame because it's about 3 blocks from me...).

Piece on Milwaukee Ave in the Wicker Park area of Chicago makes some great brews. Try the Worryin' Ale. Their pizza is mighty fine too.

Piece on Milwaukee Ave in the Wicker Park area of Chicago makes some great brews. Try the Worryin' Ale. Their pizza is mighty fine too.

+1 to Piece, but its been really busy the times I've been there. I enjoy the Goose Island off of Clybourn too (plus there's a Binny's next door!)

I'll have to check out the Haymarket this spring.

Although I haven't been to Two Brothers in Warrenville (I have a feeling that would be high up on the list as I've heard great things) here is my top 5 brewpubs in Chicago.

1) Piece
2) Revolution Brewery
3) Half Acre
4) Moonshine
5) Goose Island

There are lots of brewpubs in the burbs but I just haven't been to too many of them, Walter Peytons, Emmets, Taylor Brewing Co, Rock Bottom to name a few!

A hint on Half Acre, you can go to their store and tasting area anytime, but if you want a tour you better get a ticket now. I'm scheduled on a tour for May of 2012 because it's booked up until then.

Just read their blog and wow, they are booked on tours for the next 13 months. That's just crazy.

I can't help but think they might be intentionally restricting the tour to once a week to drum up stuff like this to get publicity. Any brewery that does tours could do one tour a week and end up with a 13 month wait list.

I stopped in Haymarket Brewery Saturday. Good beers! Either eight or ten of their own, and more guest taps.
Pete Crowley was there, and got a chance to talk with him for a bit. Very nice guy! The guy sitting next to me was a home brewer, too, and Pete spent some time talking to us, and gave us samples of a couple of beers, including one that they hadn't even debuted yet!

Although I haven't been to Two Brothers in Warrenville (I have a feeling that would be high up on the list as I've heard great things) here is my top 5 brewpubs in Chicago.

1) Piece
2) Revolution Brewery
3) Half Acre
4) Moonshine
5) Goose Island

There are lots of brewpubs in the burbs but I just haven't been to too many of them, Walter Peytons, Emmets, Taylor Brewing Co, Rock Bottom to name a few!

Just thought I'd mention I went to two brothers for their annual "Hop Juice Festival" and beer was fantastic, picked up a case of their black hop juice. Wish I got 2. They sold out in 4 hours. I smell a competition abrewing with DLD.

Back