better bottles questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
#1 the ported valve w the auto siphons and Racking Adapters worth the money or just get a standard better bottle non ported one

#2 do you have to use there dry lock bung or can you use a standard one with a 3 piece air lock

#3 Any down sides to them over the standard glass carboy

thanks

#3 they scratch easier which can potentially lead to infection. they do not provide an oxygen barrier so long term aging is out.

I can't answer #1 because I've always used the standard BB.

Don't use a carboy brush on the BB - clean by filling with an Oxyclean solution and let it sit overnight - if you need to scrub the inside, leave a little Oxyclean solution in the bottle and put a washcloth into the bottle -swirl it around and let the cloth do the scrubbing - this way you won't scratch it.

Be sure when aerating not to rock the BB on its edge - see the Better Bottle web site for their technique of using a tennis ball under the center of the BB to avoid the stress cracks that can be caused by tilting the bottle on its edge.

http://www.better-bottle.com/products_master.html
Look under Product Information - How_To Tips

I think they do provide a pretty good oxygen barrier, though not as good as glass. I've left my beer in them for several weeks with no problem, but if I were going to age one for months I would use glass.

Edit: I forgot to answer #2 - you can use a standard 3 piece airlock with the proper size bung

I think they do provide a pretty good oxygen barrier, though not as good as glass. I've left my beer in them for several weeks with no problem, but if I were going to age one for months I would use glass.

i agree. if memory serves they are better than brew buckets but not as good as glass.

One reason I went with glass is when you lift a better bottle the shape will distort ( temporarily ) and suck in at the airlock. This is only an issue if you use and airlock, but I do.

One reason I went with glass is when you lift a better bottle the shape will distort ( temporarily ) and suck in at the airlock. This is only an issue if you use and airlock, but I do.

Avoid the problem by keeping the BB in a milk crate or BrewHauler so that you're lifting it from the bottom.

To answer #2: yes, you can use a regular airlock.

I bought two non-ported versions and like them enough to sell all my glass carboys on Craigslist and replace them with Better Bottles. Once you start get used to not lifting heavy (and sometimes slippery) glass carboys, you won't look back.

As far as the airlock sucking in, this can be avoided by lifting the BB from the bottom or putting it in a crate. It's really not that big of a deal for me.

#1: I use standard BB's and they work out just fine. I put the very tip of my siphon in the little "dimple" at the middle of the bottom of the bottle, and the trub remains behind at the lower sides.

#2: They use an ordinary #10 stopper. I took a stopper to the hardware and bought a length of clear vinyl hose which fits tightly in the stopper hole; I use this as a blowoff tube during early fermentation, and then replace it with a regular 3-piece airlock.

#3: The material is softer than glass, so it can be scratched. Be cautious of what you put INSIDE of a BB.

They work fine for me.

glenn514:mug:

I wouldn't bother with getting the ported one.

I have one glass carboy and one better bottle. I like the better bottle a lot. I use the glass one as the primary and the better bottle as the secondary. The better bottle is easy to clean and easy to handle.

As for length of time in the better bottle, the longest I have left beer in it is 3 weeks and it was fine.

Back