Yet Another Keezer Build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Here's how I built my keezer over the holidays. I started with a Lowes 7cuft freezer which I picked up for $180 plus tax. To that I added the HK230S 3 keg kit from kegconnection.com tweaked to give three regulators, plus and external controller, spare o-rings, lube etc. for another $475 or so.

The freezer takes 4 ball-locks on the floor exactly! The fourth is a snug fit. It then has capacity for a fifth on the hump which is now full depth.

DSC015711.JPG

I had a couple of goals.

1) Minimize damage to the freezer to preserve the warranty as far as possible.
2) Keep the collar off the lid. Minimize weight and allow the keezer to be pushed close to a wall.
3) Don't add extra height to lift full kegs over.
4) Make room for a fifth keg.
5) Keep it simple! I have limited tools and talent, plus it's for the garage.

First thing I did was make a sub-collar from 2x2.

DSC015811.JPG

Next I added three sides on top of the sub-collar from 2x8. This gives a 9" collar overall with only an inch and a half added to my keg-lifting height. All seams were then caulked to seal them.

DSC01586.JPG

I added some moulding for the doors to butt against then paint the whole thing for some half attempt at aesthetics.

DSC01587.JPG

I added a strip of foam tape under the collar to seal it to the freezer walls.

DSC01588.JPG

I found some plates at Ace Hardware that fit the hinge bolt hole pitch on the rear of the freezer. I used these to fasten the collar to the freezer.

DSC01589.JPG

I also added four straightened right-angle brackets inside. For these I made small holes in the freezer rim, the only modification to the actual freezer. I figure I can caulk them if I ever un-keezer the thing.

I also added the doors to the front. These move out of the way easing the loading/unloading process. Three holes in one door accommodate the taps I bought for now. Foam all around the door opening and between the door should ensure a good seal.

DSC01592.JPG

Add the taps and shanks. Still need to add a magnetic catch for the door but it works for now.

DSC015941.JPG

And we're done!

DSC015931.JPG

Whole thing for under $700. I should be pulling my first beer this weekend. :mug:

Thanks. It didn't take long at all actually. I could have done it in a day except I had to wait for the caulk and paint to dry.

Congrats on the keezer build-That's an original idea("the doors") can't wait to see more pics

Surprised there isn't more discussion on this keezer.

How's it been working for you? The design seems pretty ingenious... any downside so far?

How's the efficiency as far as temp control/weather proofing, etc?

Great design- definitely going in that direction if it has been working for you!

I love you door idea! I will definitely steal...err... include that whenever I get around to kegging.

No problems at all really except there's not enough beer in there yet. :D

I added fans to give a more even temperature and put the controller probe into a water bottle to add some delay to power cycling and thus save my compressor. My Pale was freezing up when jammed in the corner of the freezer even though the controller temp was above 40F. The fans fixed that.

The only issue with the door is keeping the lines out of the way while I hoist kegs in and out but I could probably just route them better. Everything seals up tight. I doubt I'd do anything different with the door design if I had to start again. Just make sure when you add the door hinges there's no gap between door and wall when pressed against the foam.

One thing I'll probably do is add a layer of the foam strip around the top for the freezer lid seal to butt against. I feel it would be slightly better but I'm maybe being picky. When I start putting more kegs in there I'll take my CO2 and regulators outside.

Back