Disposing of Trub(?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebowman

Reaction score
So I should be ready to rack my first brew into the secondary tomorrow or the next day, and I'm wondering, what should I do with the whitish buildup on the bottom of the pail (I believe its referred to as trub?). In the garbage? Compost?

thanks
Mike

This is yeast sediment. You could brew the day of racking. then rack that batch to secondary and rack your new batch on top.
You can also harvest that yeast and save it for future batches. Search "Yeast Washing" with the google search on this site.
Or you can just dump it in the trash.

So I should be ready to rack my first brew into the secondary tomorrow or the next day, and I'm wondering, what should I do with the whitish buildup on the bottom of the pail (I believe its referred to as trub?). In the garbage? Compost?

thanks
Mike

Bump. Thanks Mike...
I have wondered the same thing. I didn't want to put mine down the drain at my house and threw it into the storm sewer on our cul-de-sac. I felt a little like I was disposing of a chemical warfare agent and that neighbors would be peeking through their blind slightly terrified.

If I'm not washing the yeast I dump it and the trub in the toilet. After all, it's entirely biological in nature, won't clog, and isn't half as nasty as what usually ends up in the toilet.

I ferment in sanke kegs and I wash them out at the car wash. The high pressure makes quick work of it and keeps the mess away from my house.

If I'm not washing the yeast I'll use sink, shower or toilet -- I figure any yeast in there probably helps out the septic system.

If I'm not washing the yeast I dump it and the trub in the toilet. After all, it's entirely biological in nature, won't clog, and isn't half as nasty as what usually ends up in the toilet.

Same here, last time I guess I needed a second flush because the wife went in next and told me that I have serious intestinal issues. It was an Alt.

I add a little water, swish it around and then pour it into my plants outside. I have a set of elephant ears, split leaf philodendrons and box elder shrubs that seem to like it.

Back