Dark Lord Day 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaner

Reaction score
It was just announced that Dark Lord Day will be held on Saturday, April 24th.

http://www.darklordday.com/

I guess that it's no suprise because it's usually held on the last saturday in April. I'm pretty new to the Northwest Indiana area so I had never been to 3 Floyd's until mid last year, and now I'm there on a weekly basis because I love their beer and their burgers. I'm planning on trying to get these infamous golden tickets and dealing with the crowds on DLD, and was wondering if anyone knew how long the wait in line was last year if you had the golden ticket. From talking to the bartenders/waiters there, apparently there are going to be some changes this year, but they weren't sure exactly what. I know some people on this site think that Dark Lord is over-rated, but I love almost everything that 3 floyd's brews so I'm definately going to give Dark Lord a shot. Anyone have any other tips for a newbie going to Dark Lord Day?

It was just announced that Dark Lord Day will be held on Saturday, April 24th.

http://www.darklordday.com/

I guess that it's no suprise because it's usually held on the last saturday in April. I'm pretty new to the Northwest Indiana area so I had never been to 3 Floyd's until mid last year, and now I'm there on a weekly basis because I love their beer and their burgers. I'm planning on trying to get these infamous golden tickets and dealing with the crowds on DLD, and was wondering if anyone knew how long the wait in line was last year if you had the golden ticket. From talking to the bartenders/waiters there, apparently there are going to be some changes this year, but they weren't sure exactly what. I know some people on this site think that Dark Lord is over-rated, but I love almost everything that 3 floyd's brews so I'm definately going to give Dark Lord a shot. Anyone have any other tips for a newbie going to Dark Lord Day?

If I recall, the golden tickets were ten dollars each, went on sale well before the event, and sold out in 4 hours. They went on sale in March. I'm not sure on lines, as I live far, far away, but with the golden tickets, you were given a time to show up, so I doubt it was that horrible.

If you don't get a golden ticket, or if they don't so that this year... I'd go 8 hours early. Dark Lord Day is an insanely hyped event, and I know when we have Alesmith special releases, you have to really plan ahead to get anything, and there's a lot less hype. People still fly in from other places, but it isn't as big.

I went last year, I stood in line for the brewpub to get food and beer. I had Dreadnaught which was great, one of the other people I met in line had Dark Lord aged in a bourbon barrel with vanilla, basically the best beer I've ever tasted, I thin it was '08 vintage. Anyway after the brewpub I went and stood in line for 5 minutes, got my 8 bottles of Dark Lord and took them to my car. I should have gotten back in line for when they started selling Dark Lord bottles to those without tickets, but I had to get home.

The line at the beginning of the day was HUGE! Went around the block and further, but since I had the tickets (you were allowed 2) I didn't feel the need to stand in the line. This year I really want to hang out with some brewers I've met on HBT.com so we should make sure to set up a time and place to meet.

I live in Central IL, and so the drive isn't insane.....the problem is, although I love beer, I just can't imagine a beer I'd love that much to make the trip. And I love 3 Floyds' beer, Alpha King still being one of my standards for a style, much like Samuel Smith's for Oatmeal Stout.

Would be great to hang out with you all! I'm dragging my wife along as well, I had to agree to go to some music thing in the summer though :)

I'll be there with a couple of friends and coworkers. We're thinking of going out the night before and going camping, then showing up early and checking everything out. I would definitely be interested in setting up a time and place to hook up with fellow HBTers.

Would be great to hang out with you all! I'm dragging my wife along as well, I had to agree to go to some music thing in the summer though :)

I'll be there with a couple of friends and coworkers. We're thinking of going out the night before and going camping, then showing up early and checking everything out. I would definitely be interested in setting up a time and place to hook up with fellow HBTers.

I'd be up for meeting up with HBTers as well. We should start a thread when it gets cloer to DLD and pick somewhere where we can all meet up. I can't wait to try Dark Lord and all of the other beers that they're going to have there too. Definately going to be taking a cab home unless the GF wants to drive!

I live in Central IL, and so the drive isn't insane.....the problem is, although I love beer, I just can't imagine a beer I'd love that much to make the trip. And I love 3 Floyds' beer, Alpha King still being one of my standards for a style, much like Samuel Smith's for Oatmeal Stout.

I'd be up for meeting up with HBTers as well. We should start a thread when it gets cloer to DLD and pick somewhere where we can all meet up. I can't wait to try Dark Lord and all of the other beers that they're going to have there too. Definately going to be taking a cab home unless the GF wants to drive!

Definitely up for a meetup. This is the bigger reason I'm going. Sure the beer is going to be good, But I'm going for the general Beer Day and hanging out with other beer nerds. Especially ones I "know".

I know it still months away, but anyone going willing to sell / trade a bottle away? Chances are I'll never make it out there and it sounds like a beer that you have to try atleast once.

I know it still months away, but anyone going willing to sell / trade a bottle away? Chances are I'll never make it out there and it sounds like a beer that you have to try atleast once.

I'm sure someone, possibly me will. A fellow HBT'er hooked me up with one last year at cost + shipping. I'm sure i can return the favor for 1 bottle as well. remind me closer to the date and can let you know 100% if I got a ticket or whatever to be able to buy any.

I'll for sure be there. If other Hbt'rs who can't make it out there managed to get some tickets during the limited online sale, I'm sure some of us could be persuaded to execute on them ;)

I'm definitely going with a few friends of mine. We'll be making a roadtrip out of it and touring breweries along the way...so far, we'll be stopping in Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. Anyone know of any neat breweries to tour in Ohio?

yeah they're not too persistant on updates. I know it's a long way off, but something would be nice. THey have an RSS feed you can follow

Here's there last update. looks like tickets will be done most likely.

"January 28th, 2010 at 12:57 pm

We’re working on the details as far as Golden Ticket sales and registration goes. We’ll update the site as soon as we finalize everything."

Seriously trying to get a trip together with a few friends to make Dark Lord Day an annual event.

Helps that Mid Country Malt is fairly close as well. That damn mini-van the missus had to have is starting to sound a bit better. :D

That would be a better idea, I could leave a bit early, drive the truck down and pick up the malt on the way there (Can't promise anything, but thinking about it). It'd have to be a dry day, no cap on the truck, under 20 sacks as well.

Edit: Probably can do more than 20 sacks, not sure what the payload capacity is on the truck, but I think it's closer to 1 ton.

I am planning on going this year(for the 1st time), and I think there will be a few guys from my homebrew club that will be going too.

I'd definitely be interested in a bulk grain buy. If you're interested in getting this going, we should probably start another thread for people to post their grain bills. I'll be keeping my eyes open.

Seriously trying to get a trip together with a few friends to make Dark Lord Day an annual event.

Helps that Mid Country Malt is fairly close as well. That damn mini-van the missus had to have is starting to sound a bit better. :D

Are they open on Saturday? I thought they only were open Monday thru Friday?

Are they open on Saturday? I thought they only were open Monday thru Friday?

How close is this malt store to 3 floyds?
If it happens count me in for 1 bag 2-row and I can split bags or specialties with someone. Just generic crystal 60/80, black patent, whatever.

I'm way out in the NW burbs, I'd be going somewhat close on my way down to 3floyds but if not open on Saturday :/

I know RC0032 did the last group grain buy, it was very appreciated.

Wow that's rather annoying, if anybody does twitter... mind putting up a post when they do announce it? I'd really hate to miss it, made a twitter account...yikes.

got ONE friend that twitts so he added it to his account. I told him to immediately buy the max tickets THEN call me after and I will do the same as will the ball and chain! I hope we get lucky and are able to get a bunch of tickets.

got ONE friend that twitts so he added it to his account. I told him to immediately buy the max tickets THEN call me after and I will do the same as will the ball and chain! I hope we get lucky and are able to get a bunch of tickets.

That's the spirit. Hoard as many tickets as you can personally so others can't have a chance at a small share of this limited item. :rolleyes:

That's the spirit. Hoard as many tickets as you can personally so others can't have a chance at a small share of this limited item. :rolleyes:

LOL! Who said I was hoarding? I know many friends, family and local home brewers that want these also and I am trying to get as many as I can so we ALL go and get some together. Not to mention that I know if I end up with any extra tickets I bet there are a few people here that would be more than glad to use them. Assuming the worst in people is a great way to look at life. ;) Now if I was to ask 2X the value or some crap selling the tickets that would be different but I never said that at all.

If the rules are the same as last year you are only allowed to redeem 2 tickets. I convinced my wife to go this year so she'll hopefully get to use 2 tickets as well. If you want more than that, you can wait around after the ticket sales are done and buy extra. Last year there seemed to be a fair bit left after ticket sales were done.

Back