Ale, Bitter, Real Ale, Brown Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just taken a few statements out of the Wiki and put this in.

People visiting the UK are often confused by the terms Ale and Bitter.
Bitter generally is a wide all encompassing term for beer that is not Lager, Cider, Stout, Brown Ale or Mild.
Ale is a term that can include all but Cider and Lager and includes bitters, brown ales, porters. If you just ask for an Ale you'll get pot luck or a strange look. If you ask for a bitter you generally get the house best bitter.
You may be better asking for a real Ale. Which can cover anything from a Hand pump apart from Cider.
Ale is a generic term that does not describe any particular style of beer but a wide range of styles. Bitter is a bit more focused. Real ale can include Pilsners.

I hope that has clarified it a bit.

What was there before?

I really need to get back to the UK and get some cask ales, now that I know they are liquid love and happiness.

Of course though, if you are in unfamiliar surroundings it always best to ask the barman what he recommends. They usually know what the good stuff is! ;)

Of course though, if you are in unfamiliar surroundings it always best to ask the barman what he recommends. They usually know what the good stuff is! ;)

And if they reccomend Budweiser you know its time to find another bar... unless of course you're in a country where Budweiser isn't actually Budweiser.

Ale is a generic term that does not describe any particular style of beer but a wide range of styles. Bitter is a bit more focused. Real ale can include Pilsners.

I hope that has clarified it a bit.

This sentence is not very clear:

"Ale is a term that can include all but Cider and Lager and includes bitters, brown ales, porters."

I would suggest some thing more like

"Ale is a term that includes bitter, brown ales and porters but does not include cider and lager."

Back