Phoenix Second Year Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are second year and growing strong!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tq-xFP_CA]YouTube - Hop Garden Flip HD Test[/ame]

This is also a test video using a Mino Flip HD.

I'll need to look into videmo or some other HD host.

Im growing Hops in Phoenix, AZ,so far so good... Growing since mid April from a Rhizome we are up to around 8'. Hard to really tell since my HOA wont allow me to build something above my fence-line. I put a rope across the top of the fence the plant is always wanting to grow up now it seems to now be producing only cones; not such a bad thing, but taller growth of course would produce more cones. I am growing it against the north side of a brick fence, the hops are getting sun from 6am until 3pm, the heat of the day is spared and it seems to be allowing the plant to grow optimally.

I was wanting to see if others from Arizona have had success growing hops and if they have any tricks that seem to help? I am also wondering if I will be able to produce year round off this, I mean we only have a couple of frosts.?.?

Pictures are here!

Please post pics when you have them, I am in Tucson, and I am also unfortunate to live in a "community" with an association that tells me when I wipe my ass wrong.

I' am interested to see how you've strung yours up. I have a southerly facing wall that I could get sun from about 6am-6pm in the summer.

I also thought of stringing them from the ground to the top of my patio where I could probably get 14-16' length at an angle.

Although I am not growing them, I am interested in how you are doing it!

I merged these threads since noone responded to mine.

Next year I plan on moving these to the east side of my house where they will enjoy the shade for most of the day but for a window between 11 AM and 4 PM. (The house next door provides shade for most of the morning.

I'll be able to string the hops up much higher.

1st year Cascade and Horizon. Our house sits at a NE / SW angle. Plants are on the NE side and get sunlight till about 9a and then from 3p to 6p. I harvested .8oz off one bine over the weekend. So far so good but we'll see as the heat continues. I also have an HOA but they've not said a word. For this year I simply took a 16ft. ladder (I know, ghetto) and tied ropes to the top of it. I'll have a more permanent setup ready next year.

My 1st year Phoenix hops are doing decent.

Chinook: 12-13 foot tall, good amount of cones, should get 1-2oz in about 2 weeks.

Goldings: 8-9 foot tall, small cone buds starting, but leaves are starting to get burnt.

Cascade: Topped out a 6.5 foot, trying to form little cones.

Looks like some nice growth, but you certainly need to get with the HOA to see what you can do to get them some more upward groth area.

Yeah, thats another thing I did notice a few days ago on my Warrior plant... About 4 of the leaves are getting some signs of burning on them. JAG, does this seem to be an issue for your plant at all so far?. I Hope this is a non factor! Last night i saw signs of my first cone actually forming. Still have 40+ buds looking solid other than the burning. I have a friend on my hops plant too, a Praying Mantis is taking guard over leaf eating critters, it has been interesting to see that guy grow, keep working buddy.

Yeah, thats another thing I did notice a few days ago on my Warrior plant... About 4 of the leaves are getting some signs of burning on them. JAG, does this seem to be an issue for your plant at all so far?. I Hope this is a non factor! Last night i saw signs of my first cone actually forming. Still have 40+ buds looking solid other than the burning. I have a friend on my hops plant too, a Praying Mantis is taking guard over leaf eating critters, it has been interesting to see that guy grow, keep working buddy.

Yeah all 3 of my plants have sun burnt leaves, but mostly on the bottom 3 feet. Still growing and happy, so I'm living with it. I'll leave the leaves to shade the other non-burnt leaves. The Golding plant has burnt leaf tips all the way up, but it's not too bad. I changed the settings on the drip timer so we'll see if that helps. Unfortunately I don't really have a good way add a shade cloth for them this year, but next year I can change the trellis.

Yeah all 3 of my plants have sun burnt leaves, but mostly on the bottom 3 feet. Still growing and happy, so I'm living with it. I'll leave the leaves to shade the other non-burnt leaves. The Golding plant has burnt leaf tips all the way up, but it's not too bad. I changed the settings on the drip timer so we'll see if that helps. Unfortunately I don't really have a good way add a shade cloth for them this year, but next year I can change the trellis.

Right on Jag, you got some shots of your plants?

My hops are sadly dying, once they cleared the fence and the sun got to them it seemed things were all good... but now the sun has taken its toll on the plant and it is rapidly drying out.

Same here. The sun is really baking them. Hopefully the monsoons will kick in and provide some relief before it's to late.

I've been out of town for as much as the summer as possible and the last dry monnson days have taken their toll. Last year I shade clothed everything. This year I rolled the dice.

I'm confident I can get them to survive another year and then I will move them to an Eastern exposure with more shade from a nearby house.

Can you grow hops there if they are proteced from the midday sun, or is it just to Fing hot?

Last summer we had a heat wave with severe sunny. I lost several flowers and vegetables when the soil temp got up to 130. The roots just cooked in the ground. Even with plenty of water the plants could not take the water up fast enough. The plants where I mulched the ground and put up sunshades, blocking about 30% of the sun, survived.

I think I'm in a bad spot, right now my hops have a northern exposure so the sun on the plant behind the wall does not get but 6 hrs of sun, the growth on the top of the fence gets several hrs more, that is all fried, crispy. I think the brick is getting too hot and transmitting heat through the fence for too long. Frustrating after such a good start, I'll have to rethink the entire growth next year.

This is an old post, but to anyone out there in Arizona growing hops I have a question. Should they get shade? I have Cascade and Chinook, and so far they are doing great, but it is still early. I have them along the fence on the west side of the yard that gets shade in the afternoon. Any ideas would be helpful.

Back