IPA Recipe? Hop Devil or Two Hearted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Three-Hearted kit looks really good - I have never drank a Two Hearted ale but I have enjoyed several batches of homebrew done with all Centennial hops. YUMMY!!!

This is a Two-Hearted recipe I tweaked myself. If you do not want to do a mini-mash, replace the 2-Row with an additional 2 pounds of LME. You will still need to steep the Crystal 40 though. However, I have found that the 2-row reduces any extract "twang" and gives it a much fresher taste. It also adds a few gravity points :tank:

This is a mini-mash

3 pounds American 2 Row
1 pound Crystal 40
7 pounds Gold LME

1 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Centennial 20 min
2 oz Centennial 5 min
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop

Yeast: Safale US-05 or Danstar Nottingham

Mash at 152f for 60 minutes. Ferment at 62 degrees for 7-10 days. Transfer to secondary, add dry hops. Rack in 7-10 days to keg or bottling vessel.

OG at 75% Efficiency for 5 gallons is 1.070
IBU's 78.4

Well, this is what I'm going to go with... thoughts?

AMERICAN IPA

1 lb crushed crystal malt 60L - Steep at 155-160 for 20 minutes

3 lbs Pale DME at 60 min
1.5 oz. Centennial (9%) at 60 Min
0.5 Centennial (9%) & 0.5 Oz UK First Gold (8.1%) at 15 min
1 oz UK FG (8.1%) at 5 min
4 lbs Amber DME at knockout

11.5 grams Safale US-05

1-2 weeks primary (TBD)
2-4 weeks secondary with 0.5 oz UK FG (8.1%) dry hopped for last 5 days.

OG - 1.062
FG - ~1.016
IBU's - 69.9

I have no experience with UK First Gold hops, but the IBU level looks good for an IPA. Go for it.

Well, this is what I'm going to go with... thoughts?

AMERICAN IPA

1 lb crushed crystal malt 60L - Steep at 155-160 for 20 minutes

3 lbs Pale DME at 60 min
1.5 oz. Centennial (9%) at 60 Min
0.5 Centennial (9%) & 0.5 Oz UK First Gold (8.1%) at 15 min
1 oz UK FG (8.1%) at 5 min
4 lbs Amber DME at knockout

11.5 grams Safale US-05

1-2 weeks primary (TBD)
2-4 weeks secondary with 0.5 oz UK FG (8.1%) dry hopped for last 5 days.

OG - 1.062
FG - ~1.016
IBU's - 69.9

Yeah. It is awesome when someone posts asking for help/suggestions and, after a few people take the time to do so, they just do what they were going to do anyways without taking any of that to heart and/or posting comments about our suggestions.

Your recipe looks good. Should be pretty hoppy. Holding back the bulk of the extract till the end will deff help your hop utilization. Thats what I would recommend with the recipe I posted... but I just thought that was assumed so I didnt specify. Not sure about the FG for your dry-hop as I have never dry hopped with first gold. However, I would just add a full ounce.

I just did a Two Hearted Ale from AHS but they switched out the Centennial for Amarillo.

Straight forward AND - not high ABV.

That recipe - why so long in teh secondary??

ANYWAY

Looks delicious, but 5 oz of hops in 5 gallons... ouch!

I have a recipe for an IIPA that uses 16 oz of hops for a 5 gallon batch!!

You'll have to convert this to extract, but this recipe made a darn good clone of Two-Hearted Ale. This isn't my recipe, btw. I got it from somewhere else.

11 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
8 oz Crystal 10
6 oz Crystal 40
8 oz carapils
1 oz centennial 60 minutes
.66 oz centennial 45 minutes
.66 oz centennial 30 minutes
.66 oz centennial 15 minutes
WLP001 (White Laps Cal Ale)

1 oz centennial for dry hop

OG 1.063, FG 1.012, Calculated IBU's 61.3

I didn't do a side by side but I've had a lot of Two-Hearted, and this seemed pretty close.

Yeah. It is awesome when someone posts asking for help/suggestions and, after a few people take the time to do so, they just do what they were going to do anyways without taking any of that to heart and/or posting comments about our suggestions.

Your recipe looks good. Should be pretty hoppy. Holding back the bulk of the extract till the end will deff help your hop utilization. Thats what I would recommend with the recipe I posted... but I just thought that was assumed so I didnt specify. Not sure about the FG for your dry-hop as I have never dry hopped with first gold. However, I would just add a full ounce.

I personally love people that respond to a 2 day old post with the absolute answer, then get p%&^(ssed off when the original poster responds with their intended plan.... imagine that, I didn't wait until GOD spoke to me with the answer. None came after 2 days, so I came up with a plan, bought some ingredients, and thought I'd post it for last minute comments.

Then along comes GOD... I mean noremorse1. Thank You.

To all the others that helped without b&*^tching... thanks.

I personally love people that respond to a 2 day old post with the absolute answer, then get p%&^(ssed off when the original poster responds with their intended plan.... imagine that, I didn't wait until GOD spoke to me with the answer. None came after 2 days, so I came up with a plan and thought I'd post it for last minute comments.

Thank you GOD... I mean noremorse1.

Well if you don't want the help don't ask for it.....and didn't you already post this same thread somewhere else.

btw....don't bring god into this its just a homebrew forum

King of Cascade...

Are you blind? Yes, I posted it twice. I posted it in the recipe thread on a Friday, hoping to get a few critiques in time to buy ingredients for the weekend. After no takers in nearly 2 days, I stopped at my homebrew store and bought ingredients based on another recipe I found elsewhere on the web. Posted my new intentions on the Beginners page (because it actually has an audience) on Sunday morning before the brew, then updated this thread (also Sunday AM) a few hours before my intended brew...

...parden me for not checking to make sure nobody posted a follow-up at 2:03 in the morning before I bought some hops.

After I had made my ingredients purchase, was I really off key to verify a few opinions before the brew?

Sounds like some folks around here feel they can spout rhyme or reason without themselves being open to criticism...

King of Cascade...

Are you blind? Yes, I posted it twice. I posted it in the recipe thread on a Friday, hoping to get a few critiques in time to buy ingredients for the weekend. After no takers in nearly 2 days, I stopped at my homebrew store and bought ingredients based on another recipe I found elsewhere on the web. Posted my new intentions on the Beginners page (because it actually has an audience) on Sunday morning before the brew, then updated this thread (also Sunday AM) a few hours before my intended brew...

...parden me for not checking to make sure nobody posted a follow-up at 2:03 in the morning before I bought some hops.

After I had made my ingredients purchase, was I really off key to verify a few opinions before the brew?

Sounds like some folks around here feel they can spout rhyme or reason without themselves being open to criticism...

Whoa. Chill out. I'm sure no offense was meant. We're pretty relaxed around here- I mean, after all, we drink.

Most of us use the "new posts" button, so no matter what forum a posting is in, it shows up. If we have an answer, you will get it. No need to double post.

The nasty "are you blind" remark and snarky "pardon me for not checking at 2 AM" remark really aren't warranted.

Two snarky posts in one thread aren't going to make us any more helpful. Hopefully it made you feel good.

Now, let's all go have a beer. :mug:

...Sounds like some folks around here feel they can spout rhyme or reason without themselves being open to criticism...

Yep. That sounds about right. Welcome to our club. :D

Now...chill just a bit and you'll learn a ****load about brewing exceptional beers.

This is after all...a "pub" and a little ribbing is part and parcel.

As far as your recipe, I would only switch the centennial and the UK hops. You'll get a much more Americanized ale with the centennial used at the end of the boil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back