Coke or Pepsi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting into kegging and was wondering if there is any major advantage or disadvantage between the two primary types of Cornelius kegs?
Thanks,
Jimi

Kegs are usually referred to by the type of quick release they use. Coke kegs are Pin-Lock style, while just about everyone else's are Ball-Lock.

Ball-Lock kegs are probably going to be easier to find, and find parts for. IIRC, they have slightly different dimensions - one is a bit taller / narrower then the other, but I honestly can't remember which is which :eek:

A quick search probably would have answered this for you, but I'll give you my .02

Pepsi (ball lock) is what I prefer because it has an air hose type fitting instead of the pin lock system (Coke) which requires you to line up the slots with the pin in order to put the connector on. With ball lock you just have to lift up on the sleeve and push the connector onto the gas in.

Ditto on the ball lock over pin lock. There's just more ball locks out there so it made sense to me.

Oh yea. I prefer Coke over Pepsi though ;).

i've always used pin lock kegs and have never had any trouble getting parts of fittings from my local HBS. always worked good for me...

Ball lock is the way to go, but if you can get pin lock cheaper than why not go with that? Don't make any difference to the brew whay type of keg it is in. I use ball lock due to ease of availability.

Ball locks snap on in any rotation, if it isn't on all of the way, the poppet isn't open. Pin locks you have to align the slots, compress the fitting and rotate to lock. If you don't get it on all of the way or don't snap the lock in place, you get sprayed. I've used both types and will never willingly use pin lock again!

BALL LOCK BALL LOCK BALL LOCK BALL LOCK

I bought some kegs from AHB and they were converted pin locks. They had the height and diameter of a ball lock, but had pin lock fittings.

Most sites say you can't convert pin lock to ball lock, but they never say why. Sheer speculation, but maybe the holes for pin lock plugs are larger, so you could drill out and re-tap a ball lock keg, but not go the other way. I don't see why you couldn't drill and tap extra holes and have both types on a keg.

Back