Late adding ingrediants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frazzle

Reaction score
Hi,

I've brewed about half a dozen batches of beer but this is the 1st time I did a batch of wine. My question is: I am 3 days late adding the metabisulphite, sorbate & kieselol - will this negatively affect my brew?
In 24 hours I am required to add chitosan & another packet of kieselol.
Thanks!

Frazzle said:
Hi,

I've brewed about half a dozen batches of beer but this is the 1st time I did a batch of wine. My question is: I am 3 days late adding the metabisulphite, sorbate & kieselol - will this negatively affect my brew?
In 24 hours I am required to add chitosan & another packet of kieselol.
Thanks!

Read the directions again. The sorbate goes in LAST! Meaning after fermentation is complete.

Also, it is very early to add chitosan and kieselol. Both are clearing agents and are added a few weeks after being in the secondary fermenter.

image-4065564613.jpg

... The instructions clearly indicate the process to follow, which is what I wrote above. Now I'm even more confused, haha

View attachment 86736

... The instructions clearly indicate the process to follow, which is what I wrote above. Now I'm even more confused, haha

No, go ahead and follow the instructions. But there is no such thing as adding it "late". They have you add it as early as possible, but it's never "late".

Frazzle said:

Ahh, yes, your instructions help. I assumes you were just starting, because you didn't state otherwise.

You'll be fine adding a few days later.

That's good to know. Thanks again for all the quick replies: this is a great forum!

Back