SYL 1512A - Single Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotek

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building my first Keggle to Electric Boil Kettle. I'm finally at the point where all I need is pickup a few parts at the local electronics store like switches and fuses, then assemble!

I had purchased an Auber Instruments SYL 1512A PID for a different project.
Now I've read through a few threads, and found some great wiring diagrams from P-J.

This is the one I'm looking to use:

http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/Auberin-wiring1-a4-4500w-BIAB-30d.jpg

Now I see in the notes in the bottom left of the diagram, that it could be used with a SYL 1512A.

Anyone here using that PID to control a 5500W element + 40A SSR + 2" RTD temp sensor?

In some threads I read about that PID not having external SSR control.. as well as no manual mode for controlling the boil.

I'd really like to get my project finished this week and brew. I don't mind upgrading the PID at some point, but with all the opinions I've read so far, it's hard to tell whether I can use the 1512A at all.

cheers,

__
Lotek

Hi P-J,

I have read a lot of your posts, and I just want to thank you for all the great info you shared out there. I am using your SPA Panel wiring diagram too. Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise!

I trusted your drawing, and did see the SSR output in the manual. I was just surprised at how many threads said it didn't.. but I clearly remember asking the Auber people if it was compatible for the circuit I had for a small metal heat treat oven. So I have a suitable SSR. an LDG RS1A40D40 (and yes, a nice little heatsink).

Would you be able to tell me, if there's a way for me to use it to control boiling? I mean, I figured I'd just move temp up and down as needed. But I haven't ever done it with a PID. So many people seemed to say this model wasn't suitable for boiling, or rather, controlling a boil..

I understand the manual mode on the other models and possibly fuzzy logic as well, make it easier. But I don't mind having to press a few extra buttons and be more mindful of boil overs for a few batches, before upgrading.

I just want to know if I could use it to control boil, or if it's really not worth the hassle. In which case I'll bite the proverbial bullet and get the SYL2352.

cheers,

__
Andy

Andy,

Controlling the boil with that PID is not an option. You could build your system to get around the issue by choosing an element suitable for your batch size. With a 5500W element, you will get a raging boil with a 10 gallon batch. A 4500W element would be a better choice. Smaller batch? Smaller element. Or set up a PWM controller for the boil session.

P-J

Uhmm, I guess I will just have to order a new PID, so is the SYL 2352 the best choice? To use to heat up my mash water, sparge water, then handle the boil?

Thanks again P-J,

__
Andy

Uhmm, I guess I will just have to order a new PID, so is the SYL 2352 the best choice? To use to heat up my mash water, sparge water, then handle the boil?

Thanks again P-J,

__
Andy
In my humble opinion, the SYL-2352 is the best choice. It provides excellent control capability.

You could then use the SYL-1512A to control the HLT. No problem there.

P-J

Thanks again for your help P-J!

Ordered.

I'll keep everyone appraised of my progress with the wiring and test firing!

cheers,

__
Andy

Back