Hops Group Buy in Chicago #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
starman said:
Ty, I'm not sure if ghoti added you for a pound or not - bottom line I can gladly spare some from my stock. I've already paid Bill so it will be outside the 'official' buy. Let's get confirmation if he'd counted you in the scramble for the last 5lbs.

In unrelated news.. Homedepot now has the magic chef 7.0 cft freezer for $158, Menards has an off brand 5.0 cft for ~$138. decisions decisions!

Fun fact....."Magic Chef" is just a name plate that gets placed on their units....the company just buys wholesale appliances as cheap as they can and puts their name on them...my brother works for an appliance service company. He told me that hes personally worked on 3 units from Magic Chef, all identical fridges, all made from different companies, all took different parts for the same issue haha...just me stirring the kettle :mug:

bmason1623 said:
Given the short week this week due to Thanksgiving, I really doubt that we will receive shipment this week. I will ask for Friday delivery but I wouldn't bank on it.

Which brings up something else to note. The hops will be pre-packaged for everyone to pick up once a pick up date is determined (see above). There will be a group of us splitting the hops and vacuum sealing everything so all you have to do is swing by and pick up. I do not want too many people working on the same thing because it can get confusing like the splits on the last grain buy. I hope everyone understands.

I like this idea! Thanks again Bill and Ghoti and everyone else involved in making this hops buy happen!!!!

Ty, I'm not sure if ghoti added you for a pound or not - bottom line I can gladly spare some from my stock. I've already paid Bill so it will be outside the 'official' buy. Let's get confirmation if he'd counted you in the scramble for the last 5lbs.

In unrelated news.. Homedepot now has the magic chef 7.0 cft freezer for $158, Menards has an off brand 5.0 cft for ~$138. decisions decisions!

Ty was left off, on the last simcoe.

ghoti said:
Ty was left off, on the last simcoe.

I bought 11 lbs of simcoe myself, I can space a few if we have straglers.

Oh yeah left the 3 amarillo's outside , however my remaining citra bine has moved indoors and after a month of dormancy has now broken soil with 3 nodes 1 inch tall.

Neopol said:
I bought 11 lbs of simcoe myself, I can space a few if we have straglers.

Oh yeah left the 3 amarillo's outside , however my remaining citra bine has moved indoors and after a month of dormancy has now broken soil with 3 nodes 1 inch tall.

Where did you buy the citra rhizome?

Seed, I had to cuddle with a sasqautch in the woods.. It was not a pleasant experience Id rather not speak about. The rhizome is now as big as a thumb, and 8 in deep, I'll keep it chugging till spring and split it longitudinally for the season to be certain its female.

Quick question: Anybody from the Northern end of Chicago going to be picking up hops? I live in Evanston and, depending on the day of the pickup, I will likely be out of town. If anyone around my way will be picking up hops and could possibly grab my order (I'm only getting two pounds) I would much appreciate it. I figured I would ask as that would help unburden Bill from having to wait for me straggling. I would do my best to return the favor if there's any way I can on a future grain buy.

Perch06 said:
Quick question: Anybody from the Northern end of Chicago going to be picking up hops? I live in Evanston and, depending on the day of the pickup, I will likely be out of town. If anyone around my way will be picking up hops and could possibly grab my order (I'm only getting two pounds) I would much appreciate it. I figured I would ask as that would help unburden Bill from having to wait for me straggling. I would do my best to return the favor if there's any way I can on a future grain buy.

I live on the northside and work close to the Metra ravenswood stop. I don't know when the pickup will be but i could pick up a couple pounds. PM me.

I'm in LP and would be happy to help out. Just let me know..

I can do it..

Bill, Do you know the location of where the p/u will be? City is fine for now. I'm in the south western suburbs and am curious. Thanks!

itrider said:
Bill, Do you know the location of where the p/u will be? City is fine for now. I'm in the south western suburbs and am curious. Thanks!

What SW burb... I'm in Munster I work in Blue Island, I can bring anyone's order South.

I have a dairyqueen project in yorkville I will be going to between thanksgiving and the Dec 1. Its at rt47 and veterans pk way if that works out.

I have a dairyqueen project in yorkville I will be going to between thanksgiving and the Dec 1. Its at rt47 and veterans pk way if that works out.

Thanks. I have no problem driving to make the pickup myself. Plus, I can personally thank those that have put in so much work. Face to face is sometimes the best way.

I'm just curious as to where it is located. Not a huge deal though. I'll keep you in mind though just in case.

itrider said:

Ghoti is in Naperville if that helps you.

I just updated the list with newly paid people. If you have paid but you are not showing as being paid up please PM me.

I live near Western and Foster and work in Wilmette. I have ample space to store a couple pounds if need be.

ok, I have recieved updated hops availabilty and pricing. Athunum is out of stock so I removed all 11 pounds from the spreadsheet. Prices went up on almost all hops by about $0.25-0.40 per pound. Columbus pricing on the database was way off (my fault) so I have updated that with the current pricing. Cascade was the only hops to drop in price and it went down by $0.10 per pound. I am waiting on shipping cost so I can update the spreadsheet. They are suggesting UPS but I asked if regular freight would be cheaper since we are at 286 pounds. Will update once I hear back.

Regarding shipping charges, the following is from the supplier:

I don’t have those charges yet but after the order ships the finance department will generate the invoice that is automatically emailed to you in about 24-48 hrs after the order ships.

Hope that helps.

So please send the amount for the hops. Once I get the shipping costs I will update the spreadsheet and then everyone can pay me the balance. Thanks.

Bill, do you want me to pay the difference in price now ($1.73 still owed for me after the price adjustment), or should I just wait until you get the shipping cost and pay the total amount owed then?

Bill, do you want me to pay the difference in price now ($1.73 still owed for me after the price adjustment), or should I just wait until you get the shipping cost and pay the total amount owed then?

wait until shipping costs are included then there is only one more transaction to do.

Just to reinforce how great of pricing this group has negotiated, I just got off the phone with a local hop farmer I have been going back and forth with for some time.

For local grown leaf and pellet he stated he can give us his brewery/lhbs pricing; mind you its still not as great as we are getting.

Bravo, Mt.Hood, Celia, Golding $10/lb
Hallertau $13/lb

Leaf Cascade minibale $10/lb
Pellet Cascade $12/lb

Contracts are going to be our best option at the more popular ones going forward.

We should probably start discussing contract options in greater detail now that this current buy is starting to wind down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back