ABV/OG question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb1980

Reaction score
Hey there guys, I just finished bottling my autumn maple clone and i'm trying to figure out the approx abv I'm gonna get. I didn't get a good OG reading on brew day, but by my math i had 10.75 lb of LME (4 munich, 6.75 pilsner) which gives me an OG of 1.081. With my final gravity i got today after 5 weeks of 1.020 i get 8.1%. Does this sound about right?

My next question is that I added a cup of maple syrup 2 weeks into the primary, will this affect the calculations? There was also 3.5 lbs of roasted yams in there as well that steeped with the grains. I was expecting it to be a bit higher abv, but it is tasting amazing so i'm happy so far either way. Thanks for your help guys this is my first time trying to figure what the abv actually is.

Had a feeling. Any OG above 1.055 needs two vials of yeast or at least a starter.

Aside from that, I don't really have answers to your questions. Sry, I'm still a newb

First of all, if you went from 1.081 to 1.020, you're doing fine. That's 75% attenuation which is middle of the road.

As for the maple syrup, the label I have in my hand says 212 grams of sugar per cup, or 0.47 lbs or roughly 20 gravity points based on 44 points per pound for sugar (per gallon). So divide by 5, this adds about 4 points to a 5 gallon batch. So figure an effective OG of 1.085.

And yeah, next time make a starter.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!

thanks guys that certainly does help. Next time, i guess i'll make a starter. If my OG is 1.085 that would make it 8.7%. Not a whole lot less than i figured. I'm hoping they will be ready by christmas for gifts. We shall see, but it tasted good today from the sample i tried.

Latest posts

Back