Russian Imp stout fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Boss

Reaction score
Made an RIS 1.092 OG drained the bk onto a big slurry (prob 2-3qt) i worked up from a yeast cake 6 hrs before. Fermentation started within an hr and went hard overnite. got up and temp was 76 and room temp was 66. Too much yeast? temp get too high?My first big beer and ive never got many beers wrong yet(mostly 1.070 beers). 24 hrs after pitching fermentation has slowed, alot my beers i make i drain right onto a slurry and fermentation takes off quick and goes for a couple days. Any help will be VERY appreciated

My guess is you are totally ok. Your fermentation us still taking place I would believe, it just might not look like it. Pitching on a cake can often cause huge early Krausen and blow offs then slow. Let it sit for a week and then take a gravity reading to see where it is at. You can also agitate the yeast by shaking your fementer if your yeast has fallen, but I doubt you'll need to.

Just let it sit for a while, I bet you'll be good!

I just read in another thread on here that overpitching can deplete dissolved oxygen too quickly , causing a fast start , followed by a marked slowing of fermentation. I'm not saying you overpitched or that its the problem if there is one, thought it interesting as I pitch on cakes now and then as well. I wonder if a shot of o2 at the 18 hr mark would spur it along.

i wil lthief it soon and see how its doin, really worried about off flavors

I also made a RIS, but about 3 weeks... OG was 1.092 as well. The ferm on this batch was insane. I normally use a blowoff tube into a 2L pitcher and will suffice. Not this time! I had a crazy mess and changed the water seal to a 6 gal bucket. Mine did not ferment as fast but the temp around 58-59 in my basment when I pitched.

Time will fix any off flavors in a beer that big... i wouldnt worry. What yeast did you use?

Time will fix any off flavors in a beer that big...

Unless it's fusel alcohols -- those don't really go away. 76 is the upper end of cal ale, but it's probably OK if it was for a short period of time. just don't crash the temp too fast, or you'll stall your fermentation.

Back