Briess ~ Bavarian Wheat DME - Pontential Yield in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bschoenb

Reaction score
I just brewed a pure DME Bavarian Wheat using Briess. According to Beersmith, the Potential Yield was 1.044.. and my 5.75 lbs with a 6 gallon boil/ 5 Gallon yield "should" have given me a 1.050...

But, it came in at about 1.041 with the five gallons. I'm positive on the measurements!

I have to add 3/4 lb of Golden DME to get me back up to 1.050 in the five gallons of Wort. Is the default Yield incorrect in Beersmith ? The result I got indicates that the Potential Yield was more in line w/1.036 (as in an Extract), rather than the 1.044.

does the Significant Wheat Malt in the Briess Extract behalf diffently in Beersmith or with the yield compared to the other Briess DME's?

Its nearly impossible to miss the OG with extract unless your water volume is off. Usually the culprit is improper mixing, but if you boiled down to 5 gallons, then it should be plenty mixed. The other thing to consider is the temperature of the wort when you took a hydrometer reading. For example, if the wort was 100 degrees farenheit when you took the reading, that would account for your reading being several points low.

Yep; Agree.... I'm pretty confident in not only my measurement.. (had only six lbs of DME and used 5.75), the wort boiled down to exactly what all my Batches do, I chilled the Hydrometer to 70,..everything should be correct.

I'm stumped.

And was it thoroughly mixed/aerated before you took the hydrometer reading? So far every batch I've done has been nearly 100% spot on with the estimates in Beersmith and I've done several hefe's using Briess. The only things I can think of are:

It wasn't properly mixed when you took the sample
Your water volumes were not what you thought they were
Your hydrometer paper has slipped

Rev.

Thanks for the spot on comment; so you are using 1.044 for Potential Yield with 95% in Beersmith for Wheat DME and not something else? I'm pretty confident in everything I measured so far, except for the Hydrometer (although I had a good reading a couple days earlier)

Gonna check the Hydrometer tonight w/water and a known beer sample.

I'm just using whatever is already inputted in the Beersmith Briess database:

http://www.beersmith.com/Briess.bsm

I checked and it's 1.045 Potential and 97% Dry Yield Fine Grain. Your FG definitely shouldn't have been so far off. As I mentioned, I've always been pretty spot on. Example, Beersmith estimates OG at 1.049 and it will be no more off than 1.048. Even the SRM swatch is so darn accurate.

Rev.

Thanks for you help... I'm fairly sure after making a small sample and checking my hydrometer with known wort sample and beer that it's correct. I think I know what happened.

Poured the hot wort in the glass for the hydrometer to cool... it cooled fast on the top, but was hugely different at the bottom. I never stirred just looked, I'm sure now that my average temperature was off allot causing the huge variance.

Thanks again

Yeah never cool in the hydrometer. Always cool the wort first then take a hydro sample.

Rev.

Back