Can I pitch a Blonde onto a Yeast Cake from a Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is my understaning that you should usually not put a light beer onto a yeast cake that had a darker, roastier type of beer, because lighter beers don't hide off-flavors as well. But I'm sure someone else may have a more detailed reason why you shouldn't.

I wouldn't. The flavors are too dissimilar. Not to mention the blonde will pick up a lot of color from the stout. There's also the thing about how pitching onto a full cake is overpitching. Do a search for yest washing. That's the "proper" way to reuse your yeast.

I just pitched in the following order-

Ginger stout -> Dortmunder -> Cider

I can't detect a color or taste carrying through at all.

Between the ginger stout and dortmunder, I dumped a cooled tea kettle of water into the carboy, shook, let it settle, and then racked off as much as possible before dumping the dortmunder on top, so that may help.

You'll probably be fine, I'd say, although yeast washing would be safer.

There are plenty of threads and videos (youtube) on yeast washing. While I have not done it myself, it looks uncomplicated. Remember, sanitation is key when washing yeast ...

I wash yeast all the time and it is easy to do. It saves money and works great. I never personally liked the idea of pitching on a yeast cake.

Simple question: Is it a good idea to pitch a batch of the extract version of a Centennial Blonde on to a yeast cake from an Irish Stout, or will I get weird/off stouty flavors in my Blonde?

They call for the same yeast, so we're good on that front.

Can YOU? Sure.

Would I? No .

Should that stop you? Hey - brewers learn something new every batch - who knows, you may make a "dirty blonde" that is the best beer even fermented.

Go for it. I made Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale and an Irish Red from Wyeast Labs Irish Ale-1084 that came from a Guiness Stout clone batch. They all turned out great. I did do the yeast washing thing. It's pretty easy to do.

I have a Newcastle clone brewing with a British Ale yeast (1098). Can I use this again for something that does not require a British yeast?

I am thinking of an Anchor Liberty ale clone, it calls for an ale yeast, but an American. How would the batch turn out with the British yeast instead? Does the yeast impart that much flavor that it would change the overall flavor of the batch?

Does the yeast impart that much flavor that it would change the overall flavor of the batch?
Yes, but there are so many variables that it's hard to say whether or not you'd be able to tell the difference. In any case you'll still be making beer, and you may even like it better. Don't think of it as "You can't use yeast x for beer y," but more like "Yeast x is well suited to beer style z."

Back