Selecting a PID

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
I am getting ready to upgrade my system with a E-HLT/ future upgrade to HERMS. I am going to use a 4500 - 5500 watt element and I am look at this PID. It comes with a K type thermocoupler but I am looking at a Pt100 sensor for a better resolution.
Is this a good choice?
Any inputs would be appreciated.

Appears to be the "standard" Auber PID that a lot of people here have used very successfully.

Probably won't go wrong with that one.

There is also an SSR only version here.

It appears that this PID can be either SSR and relay output and it is a few dollars cheaper and the resolution can go down to .1F with pt100 sensor. IM I right?

It appears that this PID can be either SSR and relay output and it is a few dollars cheaper and the resolution can go down to .1F with pt100 sensor. IM I right?

That looks like a winner. I bet it is functionally identical to the 2352, which is very common around the campus.

If it's identical, you'll find a lot of help. If not, well, you will have to sorta figure it out yourself. Me, I'd go with the crowd. There are a lot of settings on one of these things... some matter, some don't.

yea, a little bit. There is an offset you can add to the reading. For example, if your PID/sensor says 75°F, and you verify by some other method that it should be 72.5°F, you can enter -2.5 into the offset register in the PID. It will read correctly then.

There is also an "autotune" feature in which it learns how fast your system reacts to input. You do this one time, after your system is set up. It's easy and keeps the system from overshooting the temp you set. More on that in other threads.

yea, a little bit. There is an offset you can add to the reading. For example, if your PID/sensor says 75°F, and you verify by some other method that it should be 72.5°F, you can enter -2.5 into the offset register in the PID. It will read correctly then.

There is also an "autotune" feature in which it learns how fast your system reacts to input. You do this one time, after your system is set up. It's easy and keeps the system from overshooting the temp you set. More on that in other threads.

That sound pretty cool. I thought that this PID was the norm around here, but just wanted to double check before I bought it. I am very excited about this upgrade and the fact that I will be just a step away from a HERMS.
Thank you for the help.

You can change it. I can't remember what the default was, maybe 2 seconds. I changed mine down to 0.5s and had problems. It has been set to 1s for all of my brews.

[edit] upon further review, I think mine is set to 2 seconds now. ]

Those are the exact PIDs I have for both my HLT and BK. I've only run several wet tests so far, and no brewing, but they are fully capable of taking care of your brewing needs. They are easy to program as far as inputs or temp offsets, etc, too. I ran two separate auto tune functions with both PIDs, and they were set in about 25 minutes. It also easily bumps from PID mode to manual mode.

FYI, I didn't have to calibrate my PT100 sensors at all. They were dead on. I also used panel mount connectors on my control panel that you can get from Auber Instruments as well; I highly recommend that.

Here you can see in the upper right corner the panel mount RTD connectors.
DSC00126.jpg

Here's a shot of the PIDs in action. Note the temp probes were not submerged in water at the time; they are much more responsive when submerged.
DSC00210.jpg

Hope this helps,
TB

Back