Should I pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreidy12

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just pitched the slurry from a 3 liter starter that expired December of 09 into a czech pilsner with a gravity of 1.040. According to mr. malty, this is enough yeast but I wanted to be sure. What do you guys think? I have an extra packet of saflager w 34 70 in my fridge and am considering sprinkling it on top just to be sure. What do you guys think?

Yea its hanging around 50, I have a johnson controls thermostat and a thermometer in the fridge. I have an extra packet of dry pilsner yeast laying around but don't know whether or not to pitch it with the white labs that is already in there

Was the wort temp higher when you pitched the starter? If it was pitched higher & then the beer temp was lowered you may have put those yeasties to sleep. Just a thought.. They will eventually wake up though.

As of tonight, 50 hours after pitching, there is a decent layer of krausen forming but still no bubbles unless I touch the carboy. I was nervous there for a while!

Back