hefeweizen problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I had really nasty sulphur smell coming from my primary hefeweizen fermenter, but I read that it's completely normal with wlp380 yeast and that I should just get it off of the yeast to a secondary which I did.

Now it has been in the secondary for two weeks, the smell is gone but the beer sample is sooooooooooooo clear!! At this temperature??!! (72 F)

I've never had an ale clear as this hefeweizen! I know that it should be cloudy from the yeast....

what to do now? this is really crazy....

Did you add Whirlfloc or Irish Moss to the boil? How much wheat was in the batch? There really isn't anything you can do to cloud it up, sounds like you have made a Crystal Weisse.

Where did you hear to transfer it to a 2ndary? I'm expecting mine to clean up that smell in the primary by itself... which should help keep it cloudy. Transferring to a secondary and aging it there will clear it up.

I didn't add any irish moss, there was 50:50 wheat - pilsner ratio in the recipe...

there is still some yeast left on the bottom of the fermenter, I can see a thin layer. should I maybe swirl it into the bottling bucket?

You shouldn't be worrying about this. Just relax. If it tastes good, there ya go. Once you chill it, it will likely haze up and not be clear anymore. Either way, don't spend any time worrying about this.

Yeah it's not a big deal. If it's good, leave it as is, if you really really want a yeastier taste, then kick the yeast up a little bit while bottling - but i dont think that's necessary if it tastes good.

Why did you secondary the Hefe? I go 10 days in primary then kegs after a week I start drinking it and I will agitate the keg every so often but even with that by the time I get to the about 2/3 of the second keg I have crystalwiezen .

Why did you secondary the Hefe? I go 10 days in primary then kegs after a week I start drinking it and I will agitate the keg every so often but even with that by the time I get to the about 2/3 of the second keg I have crystalwiezen .
>

I racked to secondary because I was on a thread where my yeast (wlp380) was commented as a huge sulphur producer. People said that they never got rid of sulphur, even after longer periods in bottles...

The only way to get rid of it, which was written by people who used it many times, was to get it off the yeast to secondary. I have to say that this smell was really nasty, my whole house smelled like dog crap, so I decided to try to get rid of it by racking to secondary.

It really helped. No sulphur at all, typical hefeweizen smell now. It's just clear as water :)

What an irony - I wish my ales are like this!

About a tablespoon of flour with 10mins left in the boil keeps my Wheats/Weizen's/Wits cloudy until the last drop, even when I keg them!

Pour most into the glass, swirl the bottle and pour in all the sediment. I think weiss beers are better with some yeast haze. Mine go clear too. I think it could be the decoction mash.

I've got a dunkleweizen going right now that I used 3068 on and for the first three days it about drove my wife out of the house. The sulfur smell was ridiculous but has since subsided and now smells like a dark hefe. Last hefe I made I also used the WY3068 and it did the same thing but tasted delicious.

So, if I wanted to do a crystal weizen what is the method exactly?

If you want a kristalweizen then just do as much as you can to clear the beer up. Secondary, gelatin, whirflock, etc... ...personally my stuff drops clear in the keg after just a few days if I don't add flour in the boil.

Latest posts

Back