Dry hop in keg ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HI_SALENITY

Reaction score
Ok I brewed a Corona clone that turned out too weak IMHO. It has been in the keg for only about 5 days and is still at room temp . So can I just throw a fine mesh bag of leaf hops in for 5 days or so ? I did some searching and see some dont even take the bag out correct?
How do I go about this sanitize the bag and just throw in the hops?

Check out northernbrewer.com They sell some stuff that's better for adding hops to the keg. The hop steeper looks like the best bet. I don't personally like using those mesh bags for adding hops after the boil.

Check out the brew infuser on northern brewer. Its stainless mesh like a tea ball but can be slipped through the neck of a carboy or put in a keg. Personally I just sanitize a mesh bag and marbles add some hops and let it sink in the keg. I get it back out when its empty.

Mac & Jack's use Hoff-Stevens kegs that have a bung in the side and they dry hop by attaching a hop sack directly to that.

If you use a corny, I wouldn't hesitate to open it up and drop in a hop sack.

I was hopeing I could just use the bag I have and not order something . If I use the bag I have I could hop now instead of waiting a weak for that to be shipped.

Yes it's a Corney

I dry hop all APAs and IPAs in the keg all the time with knee high panty hose (thanks swmbo) and some non flavored dental floss using pellets. I double wrap it in the stockings to make sure that no pellet goo clogs up my poppets and I have had excellent results.

Check out the brew infuser on northern brewer. Its stainless mesh like a tea ball but can be slipped through the neck of a carboy or put in a keg. Personally I just sanitize a mesh bag and marbles add some hops and let it sink in the keg. I get it back out when its empty.

Just wanted to point out that the brew infuser rusts after a few uses. The chain isn't stainless steel, so if it gets wet, you get rust. Otherwise, good concept.

you should do a search in this and other forums... there are other (at least 3) threads on this exact thing.

there are many ways: I use a large mesh bag in the keg for 7 days a room temp. Then I transfer to another sanitized, purged keg with CO2. Done. dry hopped keg gets the bag removed, no touching, no O2 contamination.

you should do a search in this and other forums... there are other (at least 3) threads on this exact thing.

there are many ways: I use a large mesh bag in the keg for 7 days a room temp. Then I transfer to another sanitized, purged keg with CO2. Done. dry hopped keg gets the bag removed, no touching, no O2 contamination.

I did do a search as I posted , I was just wanting to post how I planned on going about it as I found many conflicting ways to "dry hop in a keg"

The transfering from keg to keg idea may just be the way to go I could transfer it to a keg with the hops in a bag and then move it again in 7 days :D

This may be a stupid question but how do I move from 1 keg to another?
Do you hook the second one up backwards and open the tap?

I did do a search as I posted , I was just wanting to post how I planned on going about it as I found many conflicting ways to "dry hop in a keg"

The transfering from keg to keg idea may just be the way to go I could transfer it to a keg with the hops in a bag and then move it again in 7 days :D

This may be a stupid question but how do I move from 1 keg to another?
Do you hook the second one up backwards and open the tap?

Make a "jumper" from beverage tubing with liquid "out" disconnect fittings at each end. Purge the target keg with CO2 if you like. Put the CO2 on the source keg, hook the jumper to the out posts of both kegs, and use just enough CO2 pressure to push the beer from source to target. You can either remove the lid of the target keg or periodically pull the release valve to vent pressure, if needed to keep the beer flowing. You can also use less CO2 if you raise the source keg above the target keg, start it with CO2 to start a siphon, and let gravity do the rest.

I'd say just dry hop in that keg. Maybe let it sit a day or two, maybe a week, but just leave them in there. If the hop aroma/taste gets too strong, then worry about transferring. If it is still too strong, wait, hop aroma/taste subsides with time (that's why people drink their IPA/APAs quickly and don't age them), so I'd stop worrying and toss in some hops.

Like I said, Mac & Jacks dry hops in their kegs. It gets kegged and shipped out within a couple days. If it gets where it's going and tapped immediately, you are probably looking at 3-5 days dry hop, if it sits for a month then tapped, you have a month of dry hopping plus how ever long it sits tapped. They don't seem to worry about it. Then again, when I looked at their hop bags, I'd say it was only .5oz Cascade pellets for an entire 1/2bbl keg.

How many marbles does it take you to get the hop bag to sink? How much hops are you dry hopping with?

thanks

How many marbles does it take you to get the hop bag to sink? How much hops are you dry hopping with?

thanks

I lost my marbles.

Would depend on how much hops, leaf vs pellet, etc. I actually prefer a shot glass as I have had marbles shatter and that can be a problem.

I typically will dry hop with 1-2 oz in a hop bag right in the keg. I've never submerged it with anything like marbles but have heard of the technique and like the idea. It just seems like it would take a lot of marbles to get the whole hop bag to sink into the beer. How many shotglasses do you have to use to get your hop bag to sink into the beer? I know it'll depend on how much hops you use but what is your typical protocol?

thanks

Latest posts

Back