Strongbow? Did I win the Yeast Lottery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_finklestein

Reaction score
SWMBO loves cider so I always keep one on tap. Recently we were between batches so we were forced to purchase some from the store. She likes Strongbow so I picked up a six pack. When she popped one open, it was way over carbonated, almost like champagne. Upon closer examination I noticed that there was yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. WHOO HOO! I harvested this sediment and now am ready to pitch it into some cider. Has anyone else found yeast in their Strongbow?

Poor sanitation?

But that isn't automaticly a bad thing. Brettanomyces can do wonderful things to a fermentation (assuming you like the distinct flavor that it brings to the party, which I particularly do, so know that that colors my advise.) So if you liked the suspect bottle of Strongbow I'd feel comfortable pitching it into a batch. Did the folks who make Strongbow want brett in their brew? No. Does it make a more pleasing brew? Only you can answer that, if you like what you drank out of the suspect bottle go with it.

brett infection? Please explain how that happens!

????????
brett-favre-rumored-to-the-vikings.jpg
???????

Brett infection is death to fruit flavours, and gives the dreaded band aid flavour. I doubt very much that is what was in the strongbow. I never heard of anyone who wanted a brett infection.

Poor sanitation?

But that isn't automaticly a bad thing. Brettanomyces can do wonderful things to a fermentation (assuming you like the distinct flavor that it brings to the party, which I particularly do, so know that that colors my advise.) So if you liked the suspect bottle of Strongbow I'd feel comfortable pitching it into a batch. Did the folks who make Strongbow want brett in their brew? No. Does it make a more pleasing brew? Only you can answer that, if you like what you drank out of the suspect bottle go with it.

I poured the "suspect" bottle into a glass for my wife and other than the fact that it was way over carbonated, it tasted just like Strongbow.

Brett infection is death to fruit flavours, and gives the dreaded band aid flavour. I doubt very much that is what was in the strongbow. I never heard of anyone who wanted a brett infection.

I don't know where you received this info, but several people use Brett in beers and several commercial breweries use it as well. First one that pops to mind is Orval. Is is very common is Sour Beers. I have never heard of it having a band-aid off flavor.

Brett, especially combined with inadequtely cleaned off chloring bleach can definately give a band-aide flavor. You are correct about that.

Intentionally introduced brett usually give a flavor often discribed as barnyard, horse blanket or funky.

All I can suggest is to go find yourself a bottle of soured beer, like Orval, and try it. If you like it then you have a decision to make.

FWIW, Cape Brewing and I just intentionally poured in a packet of Brettanomyces Bruxelles into a 60 gallon garrel of beer this morning. YMMV.
PTN

I was pretty sure Strongbow was filtered and force carbonated. Maybe your batch had some residual sugar along with some residual viable yeast. I don't THINK there is a second yeast involved (since they don't bottle condition).

Best of luck with your starter

If it were Brett you would not mistake this drink for cider.
PS. I am a fan of Orval

I didn't know there were cultured forms of brett used in beer, you learn something new every day. In drinks made from fruit brett tends to destroy the fruit flavours and leave nasty flavours in its wake. I seriously doubt it would ever be used in cider, certainly not wine. I have had a brett infection in my wine, not something I would wish to repeat. It is one of the main reasons you need to keep sulphite levels in wine.
I don't know that I could enjoy a beer brewed with brett, I have developed an aversion to that flavour.

Check out our thread "A brewfest you can see from space," on the 'local gathering' forum. Ignore all of the extraneous BS, that's just trash talk amongst friends. Read thru the entire thread, underneath all the BS there are a few kernals of wisdom. (All accidentally introduced, sure, but still there.)

PTN

SWMBO loves cider so I always keep one on tap. Recently we were between batches so we were forced to purchase some from the store. She likes Strongbow so I picked up a six pack. When she popped one open, it was way over carbonated, almost like champagne. Upon closer examination I noticed that there was yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. WHOO HOO! I harvested this sediment and now am ready to pitch it into some cider. Has anyone else found yeast in their Strongbow?

What is your recipe for strong bow?

What is your recipe for strong bow?

I don't have a set recipe yet, still working on it. But my closest attempt was:

5.5 gallons of Hansen's Apple Juice
1 c. dextrose
1 vial of White Labs English Cider Yeast

This feremented out to 1.002.

I added potassium sorbate to kill all the yeast.
Added 1 can of tree top apple juice concentrate, kegged and then forced carbed.

I'm going to try this same recipe, except this time I am going to use a better apple juice, dextrose for sweetener, and the strongbow yeast. I will let you know how it turns out although it won't be for a couple months :(

Any luck yet?

I don't have a set recipe yet, still working on it. But my closest attempt was:

5.5 gallons of Hansen's Apple Juice
1 c. dextrose
1 vial of White Labs English Cider Yeast

This feremented out to 1.002.

I added potassium sorbate to kill all the yeast.
Added 1 can of tree top apple juice concentrate, kegged and then forced carbed.

I'm going to try this same recipe, except this time I am going to use a better apple juice, dextrose for sweetener, and the strongbow yeast. I will let you know how it turns out although it won't be for a couple months :(

This happened to me about four months ago. Bought a case and there was sediment on the bottom. Not sure what it was at the time because I have recently gotten into home brewing. A few months later I purchased another case and had the same problem (both times srtongbow refunded all my money). Both times the cider tasted bad and was way over carbonated.

Back