Priming sugar in a scottish 80 /-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I used the recipator with 1.1 CO2 volume and it is saying at 68 degrees F' I should use .44 oz of priming sugar. Am I missing something or should I really use that small amount? Also I have no scale or anything like that so can anyone think of a way to measure it out to that small of an amount? Also, is 1.1 CO2 volume very very low? It seems like the beer would taste near flat? Would it not??

Anyway excuse my ignorance and thank you for the help.

1.1 is a little low, beersmith shows the style at 1.5 to 2.3 vols

at 68*F, beer smith says add 1.71 oz for 1.5 vols
at 68*F, beer smith says add 3.86 oz for 2.3 vols

personally, i'd shoot for 2.3 volumes, i like well carbed beers.

and i'd definitely get a scale if at all possible, one person's 1/2 cup almost always weighs different from another's. you can get a scale pretty cheap at wally or target.

Also, is 1.1 CO2 volume very very low? It seems like the beer would taste near flat? Would it not??

Yes, but it's really nice once in a while to have a mellow, malty beer like Caledonian Golden Promise (the only commercial beer I've had that's carbonated so low).

You could reserve some of your priming solution and bottle part of the batch to 1.1 volumes, the rest targeting 2.3.

Latest posts

Back