Southern Tier Imperial Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baystatebrew

Reaction score
Opinions on this one stout lovers? I just picked one up after it was recommended to me. Anyone who doesn't like stouts, be warned, this is not a brew for you.

One of, if not the thickest, beers I have ever had. Described as dark as a moonless night- an apt simile. Barely detectable chocolate which I really like as I am not a fan of chocolate flavors in beer. At 11% abv this beer is not kid's stuff. A little spicy kick at the end. This beer is like a jar of molasses, but the complex, robust spiciness of the wilamette and columbus hops imparted by the wizards at Southern Tier cleanly balance out the sticky sweet gooeyness of this brew.

Not for the faint of heart. For the man who loves and can handle a tough stout, this one is a must try. Makes Guinness look like a pink cosmo.

I first had "Oat" at a bar in Syracuse NY. I was completely blown away by this beer. For the longest time my friends just kept telling me to shut up about it... then they tried it. Fantastic stuff. Pretty much everything that comes out of there is top knotch. Their IPA is delicious.

thanks IPA. i was curious to get some opinions on oatmeal stouts since I'm thinking of that variety for my next batch. I KNOW people in here know this brand...come on guys...

Southern Tier is one of my favorite high gravity breweries of all time. All of the big beers in the bombers are awesome.

Excellent stuff. I love that brewery.

Their imperial IPA, "Un*Earthly" is very good, and their pumpkin beer, "Pumking" is amazing. I hated fall seasonal beers until I had this one. Just awesome.

+1

visited their brew pub labor day weekend. i love nearly everything they put out. pumking is fantastic.

wow nothing but rave reviews for stier. looks like at least 2 people also love the pumking...gonna try to track some of that down this weekend if i can.

thanks guys

I have a bottle of the Imperial Oatmeal stout in the fridge right now calling my name, it's great stuff. I'm a huge fan of stouts and other high-gravity beers, and southern Tier does them so well. If you like chocolate stouts, their Choklat is awesome as well.

I'm about to pick up anything my local liquor store has by Southern Tier, they've been next on my list for a while and I'm thinking of doing an oatmeal stout as my second brew.

Another vote for Pumpking and Unearthly :)

You probably won't find Pumpking this time of year though. I couldn't even get any at the brewery back in early November.

what is a high gravity beer, and how does it affect how the beer tastes? is that a reference to the OG or the SG? thanks

A high gravity beer has a high OG, normally heavier ales, with a high sugar content such as barleywines, some belgians, russian imperial stouts, etc.

Their Gemini, the blend between their Unearthly and Hoppe, is one of the best beers I have ever had!

Only beer that I havent cared for from them was their Creme Brulee... Couldnt finish the bomber :(....

Latest posts

Back