Dead Guy with Pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dismantle360

Reaction score
Holy crap batman the fermentation is foaming over through the airlock.

I dont have a brew store open to get parts for blow off tubes do i just keep putting water in the fermentation locks until i can get to the HBS and buy the parts for blow off tubes? I am using 2 six gallon better bottles.

I have never seen fermentation do this at this level its insaine man!!!!!

Thank god i live in colorado so wild yeast is of little concern. I am nervous about bacteria but it is in my basement which is really clean.

Any advice you can lend will be apprecieated including if i just need to relax and have a home brew.

So what your saying is dont worry it will be fine just try and keep the fermentation lock full when you remember. once it slows down is when to be concerned?

If it is in a carboy you can cover with some sanitized aluminum foil with no worry.

foil, duct tape with a small air hole.. or you can run to lowes or homedepot as they sell some one inch tubing that you can stick on top of your stopper, depending on which kind you have.

the main thing is to watch for solid debris and the big things getting in

do you have a 3-piece airlock? The kind with the little floating "hat"? If you do, you can take out the floating piece, and put your siphon tubing attached to it, and then stick the other end in a pitcher of water with some sanitizer. Presto- instant blow off tube!

If you don't have a three piece airlock, and you're using an ale pail, you can remove the grommet from the pail, and stick the tubing in there and rig up a blow off tube. If you're using a carboy, you'll probably have to go to Lowe's and buy some 1 inch diameter tubing and jam in there.

In the meantime, it's fine. A blow off tube is a good idea, though, to help prevent explosions of wort.

Also, if you do remove the airlock, I'd do it very slowly and carefully. If you just pull it out, you might get a geyser of beer on your ceiling. Trust me on this! :D

Yooper your a friggin genius I didnt even think of that yes they are three piece airlocks.

DUHH!!! Damn i feel stupid thanks for the idea.

Use the bottling wand hose...
Ailockbo1.jpg

Airlockbo2.jpg

Wow im gunna get so much crap for what im about to say but here goes.

All my hose is to small..

Gotta run to home depot and get some bigger hose....

damn that does not sound good.

All my hose is to small..
Sounds like a personal problem :D

Are you sure putting a small slit in it and soaking it briefly in hot water wont fit? If you look at my pic you'll see a slit in the base...it didn't take much for a standard bottling wand hose that came with my kit to fit on the center post...

Revvy thanks man you helped me out man im getting fast and furious bubbles out of the blow off tube. Gotta love 10 gallon batches two carboys bubbling away like mad men or babys since they are pretty good at the blblblblblbl sound.

Anywho thanks man that did the trick. I just dont want this big batch to go bad two of those brewcraft kits are expensive.

Back