creative beginner looking for tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandgeek11420

Reaction score
So I recently cooked up my first batch Saturday (1/26) night, the True Brew Porter kit, and I'm looking for some pointers. All seems well to me other than the temp has been around 62-66, and recently studying, found out the temp should be a little higher. Would it be a better idea to keep it at this temp?? Or maybe would it be possible to put some sort of additive in the wort and bring the temperature up??

Cooler is better, unless you're doing a Farmhouse Ale or some such thing.

Are you measuring the ambient air temp or the actual beer temp?

I think you're going to be just fine on this beer. Test your gravity after a few weeks . .. the only reason I would consider getting the beer a bit warmer would be if you didn't hit your expected FG by more than 5 points . . . THEN I would consider gently swirling the beer to get some yeast back into suspension and warming the beer to around 70*.

I think you're going to be just fine on this beer. Test your gravity after a few weeks . .. the only reason I would consider getting the beer a bit warmer would be if you didn't hit your expected FG by more than 5 points . . . THEN I would consider gently swirling the beer to get some yeast back into suspension and warming the beer to around 70*.

That was kind of the idea I had from what I've read, but is there any flavor additives I could put in or is it best to leave alone since it's a kit??

That was kind of the idea I had from what I've read, but is there any flavor additives I could put in or is it best to leave alone since it's a kit??

Given that it's your first time brewing, I wouldn't mess with the kit. Learn a bit about the process, and about different flavor profiles first, THEN start to experiment with additions.

I love experimentation .. . but it is not something you'll want to do much until you learn to get your process under control.

Also, if you've not done so already, I HIGHLY recommend reading Palmer's How to Brew.

Given that it's your first time brewing, I wouldn't mess with the kit. Learn a bit about the process, and about different flavor profiles first, THEN start to experiment with additions.

I love experimentation .. . but it is not something you'll want to do much until you learn to get your process under control.

Also, if you've not done so already, I HIGHLY recommend reading Palmer's How to Brew.

I will definitely check that out. What I'm looking to focus a lot on is the stout and porter style brews.

I will definitely check that out. What I'm looking to focus a lot on is the stout and porter style brews.

Palmer's book is more of a vast overview of brewing than a treatise on a specific style. But it will provide a good solid knowledge base on where to begin.

Keep in mind that as Revvy has posted on a few threads, books are like a snapshot in time . . . and that brewing techniques are likely to be adjusted as we learn more about the science (read a few threads on autolysis if you want to learn what I'm talking about). What this means is that not EVERYTHING in Palmer's book is always going to be applicable, but it will provide a great overview of techniques and the reason behind them.

I'm not too familiar with any books that focus solely on porters and stouts . . . but that doesn't mean there aren't good books out there. Still, my FIRST resource for looking up specific styles is usually the BJCP style guide. It will tell you what the common basis is for these styles . . . and the flavor notes you'll be looking for. After that, I like to come here and search the recipe's section . . . or talk to the owner of my LHBS and pick his brain.

Finally, I'm a member of my local AHA brew club . . . and they have a great number of people I've found to be vastly helpful in getting me to where I want to be.

The general consensus on this forum is 3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in the bottle. Secondary's aren't necessary. Again, the only way to know for sure that it's done fermenting is to take hydrometer readings. I recommend one after 2 weeks in the fermenter. If you're near/at your desired FG, then wait a few days and take a second. If it didn't change, you're good to bottle. If, after 2 weeks, you're NOT near your desired FG, that's when I'd look into warming and gently swirling.

Back