American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok going to kinda of try this. My LHBS was out of Simcoe for the year so the owner suggested a substitute of Summit. I decided what the hell it's still going to be beer and it will be a fun experiment. Now I did a quick search on the board here and saw a few threads saying that there is no good replacement for Simcoe. Ok I'm still going to give it a try and see what I get. I was going to try and do this as my first full boil. I was wondering does the hop schedule change at all for a full boil with extract?

Haven't brewed yet but was wondering, doesn't seem like alot of hops for an IPA. Also, would Caramunich 2 or 3 be a good sub for TF Amber? Marries Otter doesn't seem to be dark enough. Thanks!

I brewed the extract recipe 9 days ago, and I think this thing is finally done fermenting!

Also picked up a little fridge that will fit a 6 gal bucket. Is it a good idea to stick the primary fermenter in the fridge for a day before racking to secondary and dry-hopping?

Can't wait to try this beer, it smells so good right now.

I bottled my batch of this a little more than a week ago. I snuck a sample last night to see how it is. The beer was still undercarbed but the flavor was incredible! The dry hop aroma was heavenly. Thanks for posting this recipe, Yooper. Too bad the wings got eliminated so early this year. However, this beer helped to ease the pain a bit :)

Drinking my 2nd batch now. Could not be hoppier, I mean happier. This one goes into the rotation for sure!

Anyone have ideas for substitute hops? Worried that Simco and Amarillo may not be available latter in the year.

Going to brew this on Saturday. I have 1056 on hand. Is that what most people are using? Thx.

Going to brew this on Saturday. I have 1056 on hand. Is that what most people are using? Thx.

I've used 1056 with great results, but I've used other yeast strains that I happened to have also. I like Wyeast 1335 which is an English strain, but it's really neutral and clean and gives a dry finish.

Thx Yooper. I'll go with the 1056 since I have it on hand. Looking forward to brewing this. Hope I can do the recipe justice.

Yooper said:
Yes, s04 works great- IF you keep it under 64 degrees. Otherwise, it gets a bit fruity and doesn't work well with the grapefruity hops.

Thanks Yooper, I can not stay under 64 so I'll go with the S05. Sorry ya had to change your picture, my Devils will be out tonight also. They look terrible, Marty needs to go. Think y'all will go after Parise?

I have brewed this twice and both times I dry hopped in the primary (no secondary). It worked out OK. My reasoning, you loose volume every time you rack, you also loose volume due to hop absorption. Dry hopping in the primary reduced this loss. I saw no ill effects. I did wait for 3 weeks to begin the dry hopping, and bottled 1 week later. Initial clarity in the bottle suffers a little, but it does clear in the bottle.

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. But, alas, it seems like anybody who is serious about home brewing uses a secondary (not a dig, I promise). I think I might order one to have ready just in time for this batch. Seems like there are several benefits that make it worth it.

homebrewhaha said:
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. But, alas, it seems like anybody who is serious about home brewing uses a secondary (not a dig, I promise). I think I might order one to have ready just in time for this batch. Seems like there are several benefits that make it worth it.

I've done it both ways and there is no difference. Only added work and increased risk of infection. Not telling you not to secondary, just sharing my (and many others) experience.

As an old winemaker, I used to always do a "secondary". Secondary is really a misnomber as it's more properly called a "bright tank". In breweries, the beer is fermented and then moved to the bright tank for clearing and so that another batch can be started in the fermenter. Since no fermentation is happening in this clearing vessel, calling it a "secondary" is in incorrect term that comes from winemaking.

Anyway, I don't usually use a clearing vessel on my beers anymore, and I would say that I'm serious about homebrewing.

But the great thing is that everyone can do what they want, and beer is the end result so it's all good.

Yooper said:
Anyway, I don't usually use a clearing vessel on my beers anymore, and I would say that I'm serious about homebrewing.

But the great thing is that everyone can do what they want, and beer is the end result so it's all good.

hmm... Now stoopid newb me confused. Given this, would you go so far as to say you would amend the original recipe to not include a 'secondary'??

homebrewhaha said:

That used to be the case. Now some serious homebrewers use a secondary, and other serious homebrewers (like Palmer and jamil) do not. I no longer use a secondary for my DFH60 clone brews and dry hop right in the primary with loose pellets. Try it, I bet you will like it!

hmm... Now stoopid newb me confused. Given this, would you go so far as to say you would amend the original recipe to not include a 'secondary'??

No, I think it's up to the individual. I rarely do one anymore, but that's just because not using one works great for me. I often keg this beer by about day 20 now, but maybe that's not right for everybody, either!

It's been over 5 years since I posted this recipe. And it's still a favorite in our house. But I also don't have the same system I did then- I now have a HERMS and have a different efficiency. Overall, I think any brewer should take a recipe and do it their way. Some use clearing vessels, some don't. Some even dryhop in the keg. If a new brewer wants to do it "my" way, that's cool. But once they feel confident in their own procedures, it's usually best for them to do it their way!

Brewed this today. Came up 5 points short at 1.065 but still hopeful I will get a great beer. That continuous hopping is quite a chore. Thanks yooper

I cracked open my first bottle of this last night and man o' man is it good. Hops are fantastic, nice malt flavor, just a great overall beer. No one will be dissatisfied with this recipe.

Brewed this yesterday with a pound less two row, BIAB 80% efficiency. OG 1.069, pitched pack of s-05 and some washed Am Ale 2 I had in the fridge. Mashed around 151-152, my attenuation is usually so-so. Also threw in 5 oz honey malt to get rid of it and upped the hops just a tad, made my additions every 5 minutes. Adding every 5 minutes wasn't bad at all, actually made the 60 minutes go by pretty fast. Check back in a couple days.

Bah! Haven't brewed in a while and it shows. Brewed the extract version of this last night and accidentally pitched my 1056 @ 80º rather than the preferred lower temp. Is my life over? Should I pour this beer in the terlet? Will the world end? RDWHAHB? :mug:

Bah! Haven't brewed in a while and it shows. Brewed the extract version of this last night and accidentally pitched my 1056 @ 80º rather than the preferred lower temp. Is my life over? Should I pour this beer in the terlet? Will the world end? RDWHAHB? :mug:

Lol! Armageddon is on!
Just get it cooler and you should be fine. Might get a little bit of off flavor but that's life!

I wouldn't worry about it. I used a little more water in the boil for a couple of batches and the top off water didn't cool it enough and they ended up fine. No need to dump a perfectly good batch ;)

Thanks guys, obviously I wouldn't really dump this, but I forgot about all the "nerves" that go along with brewing. Good thing I have plenty of beer!

Mine has been in bottles for about three weeks now and it is amazing! This one will definitely be in my rotation. Thanks again, Yooper!

Brewing this one up tomorrow.

I am going to do a BIAB partygyle to get 2 batchs. Plan to brew the recipe as Yooper presented it no sparge full volume BIAB.

Then I am going to add 5 lbs of 2 row to the bag and mash a second batch that I plan to hop to around 25-30 IBUs (depending on the gravity I end up with) for a session blonde. Hopefully I will get around 1.040-45 with the second runnings, 5lbs of fresh grain and a 170F mashout sparge.

First time doing 2 batches like this. Wife is out of town so I won't have to worry about her deciding the honey do list deserves a higher percentage of my brewing time.

This stuff is the best! I wasn't a real fan of da' hops but I like this beer even better than the retail brand. :D I originally brewed this for someone else. Guess I'm gonna have to change my mind afterall. :confused:

Thank you Yooper! :fro:

Just checked FG after 6 days, sitting at 1.017. I wouldn't say I regret it but the 5 oz honey malt I threw in makes it not a clone, duh. I can definetely recognize 60 minute hop action though. Gonna rack and dry hop Sunday morning, throw a pale ale on the yeast cake.

Red86yota said:
My batch has been in bottles for not quite 2 weeks, but I gotta try one. Got a couple in he fridge for tomorrow!

This is the best beer I've made so far! Very nice hop character. Thanks Yooper!!

Brewing this one up tomorrow.

I am going to do a BIAB partygyle to get 2 batchs. Plan to brew the recipe as Yooper presented it no sparge full volume BIAB.

Then I am going to add 5 lbs of 2 row to the bag and mash a second batch that I plan to hop to around 25-30 IBUs (depending on the gravity I end up with) for a session blonde. Hopefully I will get around 1.040-45 with the second runnings, 5lbs of fresh grain and a 170F mashout sparge.

First time doing 2 batches like this. Wife is out of town so I won't have to worry about her deciding the honey do list deserves a higher percentage of my brewing time.

Had a long brew day today. New process with a new 13 gallon aluminum pot. Started the day conditioning it. Mashed in and when I pulled the bag my gravity was a bit low. I threw in a lb of Extra light DME I had lying around and did a 90 minute boil to decrease volume. I stayed with the hop addition 60 min schedule. Wound up with 1.066 Wort that tasted great.

My second batch came in a little higher than I figured at 1.050. I used the Biermuncher Centennial Blonde hop schedule for it.
If i do this again I will go with 14lbs of 2 row for the first batch and 5 lbs for the second.

Back