Acid Testing Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
I have a acid test kit. vinometer acidometer. I add the wine up to a measured mark of"0". then i titrate with some blue indicator until i get to a end point. This tells me my acidity.
i only get a small amount of this blue indicator, and i live 80 miles from a dealer.
I was wondering if i could dilute the wine with water, or distilled water by 50% to use half of the blue indicator, then multiply my end result by 2 for my acidity.
I hope this is clear enough to understand , i'm running late for work, gotta run. All info will be greatly appreciated as always. crushing grapes tomorrow. I'll check back about 10am in the morn. skip in ar...

Someone else is gonna know the answer for sure, but I'm pretty sure that acidity is measured on a logarithmic scale, so a factor of two may not be entirely correct when diluting the solution by 50%.

One of the chemistry-smart guys here will get you a more definitive answer.

Thanks for the reply Yuri. I went ahead and used 100& must juice since this is a white. I think i can mayyyyybe go 50% when i make the red wines so i can see the end points a little better, not really sure.
Maybe i can learn more about this soon, possibly experiment a little when i get more "blue indicator". Ok thanks so much for the help, see ya soon. Skip in AR...

Back