Transfer to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophead81

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Dubbel last Saturday and the OG was 1.090. Airlock bubbles are about 1/90 seconds or so over the past couple of days now. Will it hurt to transfer to the secondary or should I wait another week?

Your beginning gravity doesn't helped, nor does counting bubbles, a current reading is how you know how your beer is progressing. And when it is finished. Not bubbles. It could stop needed to release EXCESS co2 (which is the purpose of an airlock, not a gauge of fermentation) and have plenty of work left to do. Especially in a big beer like that. I wouldn't even contemplating racking it to secondary until it's been a month in the primary anyway.

I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet. Originally I was planning on not even checking it for two weeks.

unless you plan on aging this for awhile (months), I'm not even sure I'd bother using a secondary on this. 3-4 weeks in the primary will probably be sufficient

dcp27: you don't think I should throw in a secondary for a few weeks to help settlement and clarity? Just transfer to bottling bucket and bottle.

3-4 weeks in the primary will accomplish that on its own. alot of people here don't use secondaries anymore unless they're aging for long periods or adding something like fruit or oak

Yeah try it out for yourself. I was happy to learn about the primary-only trick that's so popular here on HBT.

I left my beer in primary for a month and it was just as clear as any other similar-style I have used a secondary with. Delicious, too.

Back