Suspended particles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slydawwg

Reaction score
Hi, Four days ago my Pilsner went into the secondary and I've just noticed a lot of "half rice size" particles suspended (not on top) in the beer. They don't seem to be settling and if anything are becoming more numerous. Should I be concerned ?

When I rack to secondary (usually after a 14 day primary), I often notice yeast/protein flakes in the beer, it's most noticeable when I use Nottingham yeast. So far they've always settled out by the end of the 14 day secondary, and if I put the carboy somewhere cooler they seem to settle out faster. Let it ride in secondary for a couple of weeks and see if they don't settle out.

Yes, flakes is a better description, but I've never had these before in the secondary so I'm concerned it might be an infection.

No, pics wouldn't show it up properly, and the more I think about it, yeast makes sense. As this is a lighter Pilsner and previously I've made darker beers, so they (particles) would be more noticable in the lighter brew. Time will tell. Thanx

Are they round? Did you use whole hops without a filter? I sometimes see these round things when I use whole hops (pretty much all the time). I don't know what they are but they are more abundant with hoppy brews with no filter or hop bag.

No this wouldn't be a hops problem. Mixed bag of opinions on what they might be or qaulity of finished product. Again hoping its just yeast that hasn't settled yet, though I can't figure what the hold up would be. At any rate nothing to do but wait and hope they get anchored. (although they seem to be multiplying, which is weird)

Back