Good way to avoid boilovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
This may not apply to everyone, but for anyone using extract and doing partial boils in a small pot, boilovers are really hard to avoid.

One way that I have found that works everytime is after you add your extract and bittering hops (when most boilovers happen) remove it from the burner very quickly after it starts to look like it will boil over. If you do this 4 or 5 times (remove the pot from the burner right befor a boil over) you can them return the pot and have a very nice rolling boil for the entire 60 minutes.

Not sure if this is a "DUH . .. everyone knows that!" comment, but this has really helped me and keeps the SWMBO at bay after I had one nasty boilover.:D

i usually end up just playing with the amount of heat to the pot but this would probably work better.

I've started using defoamer drops every time. Amazing product. Mine came from austin homebrew as defoamer, but someone else distributes the same thing as Fermcap-S

A few weeks ago I had my keggle filled to the top and never had to adjust the heat to prevent a boilover

I like to use fermcap. That stuff is amazing.....I never worry about boilovers anymore.

Hmm there seems to be all sorts of different ways to avoid boilovers.

I use a small sized clip on fan and point it at the top of the wort. Never had a boilover when using this setup.

Ant

You should not boil with a cover on. Boil Topless :D

Seriously though, you want a good rolling boil because you are trying to drive off compounds that taste bad (e.g., DMS and its precursors, etc.). If you covers your kettle the compounds will condense on the lid and drip back into your wort.

i just bought myself an 11 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches- this lets me start 120 minute boils (for barleywines and old ales) with about 8 gallons, and also gives me enough headspace to avoid boiling over

i agree with BK- boiling is done to remove excess water and to get rid of DMS

dont forget the hot break- if you never let the pot boil fast enough it'll never happen- once it does, boilovers shouldn't happen

I lift the cover off every couple minutes and look at the rolling boil then recover. Rinse and repeat.

Lift *WHAT* cover off??? You should be boiling with the cover off AT ALL TIMES!!!! You'll have DMS issues if you cover the brew.:cross:

FYI, I have actually boiled over a 5 gallon brew in a 40qt pot. It was a bigger beer... I probably had like 7.5 gallons in there. Went right over before I could catch it.

Last 10 batches I have kept it 3/4 open with the lid only covering part of the pot to keep the roling boil going. With the initial extracts I haven't noticed any issues, but now can't wait until I get to the ones where I have left the lid mostly off to see what the difference is. Once I go to AG I will be using a burner and have the lid completely off.

Back