Alternative valves/spigots for the ported Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilgore_Trout

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a ported Better Bottle, but the valves are just wayyyy too much.

Are the holes a standard size? If I could purchase/assemble a simple bottling valve myself I might actually buy one of these buggers.

Any info would be appreciated.

I believe the hole in a ported better bottle is 3/4".

Even if you can find a spigot of the appropriate size, installing it tightly might be a bit tricky...unless your arms are skinny enough to reach through the neck! The overpriced racking adapter is installed by slipping a long plastic pipe over the racking arm.

I believe the hole in a ported better bottle is 3/4".

Even if you can find a spigot of the appropriate size, installing it tightly might be a bit tricky...unless your arms are skinny enough to reach through the neck! The overpriced racking adapter is installed by slipping a long plastic pipe over the racking arm.

I didn't even think about not being able to get inside the bottle.

A bit of silicone from a tube would do the trick no? Would be a bit tough to clean I guess :confused: maybe I should just buy a bucket...

maybe I should just buy a bucket...

I still highly recommend better bottles, I vastly prefer them to buckets. And the bottles themselves are reasonably priced, it's just the racking adapter/valve assembly that costs a fortune.

I've got one ported bottle, and two unported. While the racking adapter works great and is more convenient, I'm not sure it's worth the price of admission. With the unported bottles, I just use my autosiphon...no big deal.

I wanted to avoid the hassle, but I guess the ease of cleaning would be nice (as would the fact that they're clear).

Thanks for the tips guys.. I've got a choice to make I guess.

Back