Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this beer pretty much exactly per the original post recipe 2 weeks ago and my OG was 1.064. I just checked it yesterday and the gravity read 1.000! I'm really happy with how it turned it, it takes and smells exactly how I think a saison should. Many thanks to the OP. One question though, what is the purpose of the second half of the 4 week fermentation at a higher temperature? So far I have fermented for two weeks at 68 degrees (room temp in my basement). I don't have a good way of keeping this beer at 78 other than turning off the AC in one room and even then I think the temp will fluctuate. Since I'm at the final gravity, will I be missing anything by bottling now and skipping the final two weeks?

I brewed this beer pretty much exactly per the original post recipe 2 weeks ago and my OG was 1.064. I just checked it yesterday and the gravity read 1.000! I'm really happy with how it turned it, it takes and smells exactly how I think a saison should. Many thanks to the OP. One question though, what is the purpose of the second half of the 4 week fermentation at a higher temperature? So far I have fermented for two weeks at 68 degrees (room temp in my basement). I don't have a good way of keeping this beer at 78 other than turning off the AC in one room and even then I think the temp will fluctuate. Since I'm at the final gravity, will I be missing anything by bottling now and skipping the final two weeks?

The higher temps are to help get the gravity down and help encourage the esters from the yeast, worst case, you miss out on some funk, no worries just brew another batch and try to let the funk shine, heck toss it in the garage under a t-shirt for the last bit.... Let it get hot!

Boy sometimes things just get answered before you even ask. I was wondering this exact thing. I'll be making this on Sat.

Is there a time frame when it becomes more beneficial to get temps up, 50% through ferm, 75%, whenever you choose because after all your a homebrewer?

If I understand the brewing process correctly the second weeks are to allow the yeasties to clean up as some stuff they produce during noshing on the sugars .

I have just had a look at my saison bottles and there seems to be a strange thing happened Its clear as spring water and I thought saisons were supposed to be a bit cloudy .
Weird as the beers I brewed before never cleared as well as this brew and they were supposed to be clear

@troutie I had the thing happened to me. it got clearer. Also the peppery taste seems gone.

I was able to compare the version from the keg with the version I bottle conditioned.

Such a huge difference.

1. bottle is more bubbly, nicer bubbles. Fade aromas, clear
2. kegged beer is less bubbly, bubbles fade quicker, aromas are stronger and not as clear.

Bare in mind I only keg it and bottle it around same time - 6/26 - what a difference!

Is there a thread on this matter ?

If I understand the brewing process correctly the second weeks are to allow the yeasties to clean up as some stuff they produce during noshing on the sugars .

I have just had a look at my saison bottles and there seems to be a strange thing happened Its clear as spring water and I thought saisons were supposed to be a bit cloudy .
Weird as the beers I brewed before never cleared as well as this brew and they were supposed to be clear

I just brewed a similar recipe and went from grain to glass in 15 days. Those first few glasses were bright and flavorful. If you brew with healthy, adequate amounts of yeast and have some control over temps there's no need for long clean up time.

I brewed this about a week ago following the original recipe. My O.G. was low at 1.055 however today it was 1.000. I pitched the yeast around 77 and let the fermentation temp free- rise as the yeast desired. I notice that much of the pepper aroma has faded if not disappeared altogether. The hydro sample tastes great with not much up front, but a lot of citrus in the back. I'm going to give it until monday and then bottle it.

I'm currently enjoying this beer with a few revisions....I targeted an OG of 1.046, hoping for more of a summer quaffer. With a FG of 1.003 I'm at about 5.6% ABV, so you can drink a few when it's hot out. I also dialed the pepper back to 1 tsp.

I think my one mistake was starting fermentation at 64. Mine is a very clean beer - started at 64, ramped up 1 degree per 12 hours, and after day 3 I let it free rise to about 74. By day 7 temp was up to 80+, but by then the beer was almost fully attenuated, so I still got a very clean saison. In hindsight I should have started it at 68 and gone up from there. Otherwise a great beer.

Still enjoying our PM version of the original recipe (added too much ground pepper, but I still enjoy it).

Planning to do a 2.5 gal AG batch, split between 3711 and some harvested yeast from an Ommegang Hennepin bottle, both at room temps. Both starters are going strong.

Has anyone tried adding fruit to this beer?

Still enjoying our PM version of the original recipe (added too much ground pepper, but I still enjoy it).

Planning to do a 2.5 gal AG batch, split between 3711 and some harvested yeast from an Ommegang Hennepin bottle, both at room temps. Both starters are going strong.

Has anyone tried adding fruit to this beer?

I really need to go through this thread and copy the pm and extract recipes, the add the, to my OP.

As for the fruit, in ever really thought of that, but I would imagine it would be good with some stone fruit added in.

First bottle tonight. Amazing! To think that this came out of my hot basement. A thing of beauty, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Brewing this today. Using Valley Malt Organic Pilsner. A little worried about the LHBS crush on this since the kernels are so much smaller than the Belgian/German pilsners.

Also changing up the hop schedule (going a little hoppier) as follows, converted for 5gal:
.5oz Sorachi Ace @FWH
.5oz Motueka @30
.5 oz Motueka @15
.5 oz each Motueka/Sorachi Ace @5
.5 oz each Motueka/Nelson Sauvin @0

We'll see how it goes!

BGBC said:
Brewing this today. Using Valley Malt Organic Pilsner. A little worried about the LHBS crush on this since the kernels are so much smaller than the Belgian/German pilsners.

Also changing up the hop schedule (going a little hoppier) as follows, converted for 5gal:
.5oz Sorachi Ace @FWH
.5oz Motueka @30
.5 oz Motueka @15
.5 oz each Motueka/Sorachi Ace @5
.5 oz each Motueka/Nelson Sauvin @0

We'll see how it goes!

That hop schedule looks similar to SD-Slims lemon lime hefe recipe that's pretty popular

I brewed a partial mash last night, and think it came out at 1.060. I couldn't find sorachi ace, so the guy at Northern Brewer said to use Citra and lemongrass. I replaced the Sorachi Ace with Citra, and added .15 oz of lemongrass at 30 minutes, and again at 15 minutes. We'll see how it goes.

Lemongrass sounds like a great idea in beer I have it thought of that. If the flavor comes through I bet it would be good in many summery styles, hefe, pale ales, blondes...

Lemongrass sounds like a great idea in beer I have it thought of that. If the flavor comes through I bet it would be good in many summery styles, hefe, pale ales, blondes...

Lemongrass is great in a hefe, and also in a pale ale, I brewed my pale with fresh lemongrass and sage one year, it was fantastic!

I brought a bottle of this to a few big beer lovers last night, looking more for feedback than compliments, but thats all I heard, was impressed compliments. I think its a tad spicy, due to using fresh crushed pepper, but they all liked it!

I brought a bottle of this to a few big beer lovers last night, looking more for feedback than compliments, but thats all I heard, was impressed compliments. I think its a tad spicy, due to using fresh crushed pepper, but they all liked it!

Congrats on brewing up a praise worthy beer!

It's a great feeling to know you have a winner you can share with friends!

just wanted to show this recipe some love.

brewed it for Big Brew and was my first saison to brew and i really like it.

also had a master brewer taste it and he said that with not being a saison fan that he liked it and that was true to style and wasnt too strong

just wanted to show this recipe some love.

brewed it for Big Brew and was my first saison to brew and i really like it.

also had a master brewer taste it and he said that with not being a saison fan that he liked it and that was true to style and wasnt too strong

:D

:ban:

I've brewed this a few times and has become a household favorite. I'm working on designing a pumpkin Saison for the fall and was curious if you thought this grain bill would work?

I've brewed this a few times and has become a household favorite. I'm working on designing a pumpkin Saison for the fall and was curious if you thought this grain bill would work?

How strong are you looking for the beer to be?

Similar to this one?

Also, are you looking to use a lot of canned/baked pumpkin or mostly looking for the pumpkin pie spice flavor?

Similar to this one?

Also, are you looking to use a lot of canned/baked pumpkin or mostly looking for the pumpkin pie spice flavor?

I'm working on a pumpkin ale recipe that is a fair bit closer to a wee heavy in both recipe and in process than a typical pumpkin ale recipe.

It is also going to have a hint of smoked jalapeño in it too.

azscoob said:
I'm working on a pumpkin ale recipe that is a fair bit closer to a wee heavy in both recipe and in process than a typical pumpkin ale recipe.

It is also going to have a hint of smoked jalapeño in it too.

That sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I sampled my Sorachi/Motueka/Nelson split this weekend. 3711 vs Ommegang house yeast. I prefer the flavor/mouthfeel of the 3711 so far, but it's only been 1 week and the Ommegang probably has a little more to drop still. Thinking I might bottle the 3711 next weekend, then rack the Ommegang onto some fruit and some of the 3711 cake. Why?

Why not?

Bottled one gallon of this. Belle saison dropped the puppy down to 1.002! Great fruitiness and some spice in the sample. Bone dry, obviously. Racked a second gallon onto 18oz of cherry plums from my backyard, pitted and skins removed. Fermentation has yet to kick back up again.

Got all my ingredients together and going to brew on Wednesday. Only problem was my lhbs didn't have 3711 or belle saison so I got wlp 568 saison blend. Anyone ever use this before?

fumanbrew said:
Got all my ingredients together and going to brew on Wednesday. Only problem was my lhbs didn't have 3711 or belle saison so I got wlp 568 saison blend. Anyone ever use this before?

Yes, that yeast worked really well. It was a fast starter and I think it tastes great. I did not let it go above 80 and started off cool during the initial phase of fermentation. Very nice yeast!

Yes, that yeast worked really well. It was a fast starter and I think it tastes great. I did not let it go above 80 and started off cool during the initial phase of fermentation. Very nice yeast!

Cool, just made my starter a couple of hours ago.

azscoob said:

Similar to this one?

Thinking of reducing grain bill to reach around 6.5-7 abv and using canned pumpkins baked

After 8 days, I'm at 1.004. I swirled it up, so maybe it will keep dropping.

Sure can smell the funk!

Does this need to condition for a while? I was hoping to bottle it next week, and take it on vacation the next week (if it carbs nearly as well as my hefeweizen did)

I made this a little over a month ago and bottled it last night. I got a good taste (warm and not carved) and this stuff is goooood. I'm not even a huge saison fan.

I made 10 gallons of this a couple of months ago with Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. Gravity got to 1.003 real quick with temps in the 70s. Well the first keg was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first keg wasn't quite done before I went on vacation for three weeks so I racked the other 5 gals into a secondary to let it sit until I came home and killed the first keg. When I got back from vacation I noticed a little pellicle on top and sure enough, when I transferred to keg today and tasted, it's sour! Not puckery-sour, but it's a totally different beer for sure. I had to check and make sure it wasn't cider I had around and had accidentally kegged in a mixup. Hops are totally gone, and I can hardly tell it's a saison...but it isn't bad. Not sure what went wrong or what bugs or critters could be in there. I've never had Brett or Lacto in any of my lines or fermenters. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with it. Should I continue carbing it in the fridge, or take it out and let it age? I'm a little concerned that because it could be a wild infection that while it tastes ok now it may deteriorate instead of improving over time. I also thought about adding some fruit and letting it get even more sour. Thoughts?

worthogg said:
I made 10 gallons of this a couple of months ago with Belle Saison and 3711 mixed. Gravity got to 1.003 real quick with temps in the 70s. Well the first keg was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first keg wasn't quite done before I went on vacation for three weeks so I racked the other 5 gals into a secondary to let it sit until I came home and killed the first keg. When I got back from vacation I noticed a little pellicle on top and sure enough, when I transferred to keg today and tasted, it's sour! Not puckery-sour, but it's a totally different beer for sure. I had to check and make sure it wasn't cider I had around and had accidentally kegged in a mixup. Hops are totally gone, and I can hardly tell it's a saison...but it isn't bad. Not sure what went wrong or what bugs or critters could be in there. I've never had Brett or Lacto in any of my lines or fermenters. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with it. Should I continue carbing it in the fridge, or take it out and let it age? I'm a little concerned that because it could be a wild infection that while it tastes ok now it may deteriorate instead of improving over time. I also thought about adding some fruit and letting it get even more sour. Thoughts?

What yeast? I used wy3724 and it finishes very tart. Same with wl565 I believe.

Latest posts

Back