Ethics Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unethical.

I'd say it is IF the items were purchased for a single function(ie expected to be used or thrown out). My old squadron did this, and I'd go home with the leftovers. Next picnic we bought all new goods. Thats just how our budget was. So without details I'm undecided.

Here's one that I have been struggling with. I have always worked a white-collar job.

When I need something from someone blue-collar (maintenance, food service, tradesman, taxi driver etc.) without even knowing it I find myself beginning to talk in a thick New York accent, particularly if the other party has one him/her self. I know I am trying to build a better rapport to get better service off the bat, perhaps under false pretenses. Is this technique unethical, especially considering I seem to do it automatically.

Here's one that I have been struggling with. I have always worked a white-collar job.

When I need something from someone blue-collar (maintenance, food service, tradesman, taxi driver etc.) without even knowing it I find myself beginning to talk in a thick New York accent, particularly if the other party has one him/her self. I know I am trying to build a better rapport to get better service off the bat, perhaps under false pretenses. Is this technique unethical, especially considering I seem to do it automatically.

Unethical would be talking to them in a thick Boston accent :D

Seriously though, I don't see that this is an ethical dilemma. It could get close to being patronizing if you aren't careful, but mimicry is a fairly common thing in speech. I remember when I used to travel in Canada extensively, on every trip it would only take about an hour before I started punctuating my sentences with 'eh'.

Oh ok. How about, then, the fact that I used to read feminist literature in college so that I could quote it at bars in an effort to bring girls home?

Nothing wrong with trying to find a common ground with someone. I think everyone does it at some level. I'm sure the person on the other end would prefer that to some of the other treatment he's probably received from rich, snooty people.

Better than you would believe. Funny story, I have a friend (now married) of whom I ALMOST dated in college. We had a couple dates set up, but either weather or class or any number of things kept it from happening. Years later, maybe two years ago, I admitted to her the feminism thing. Now, we had been friends for close to ten years at this point. She thought about it and said "wow, thats a pretty good one. I think I probably would have got with you even if I knew it was a line"

I told her she was a lousy women's studies major at that point. She punched me in the arm. When I told my now-wife that I did that in college she said "I've heard way worse.... at least you learned something"

But yeah, works like gangbusters. Another evil tactic that I'm totally telling my future sons, hang out at gay bars. Straight women hang out at gay bars to get away from guys like you. Corner 'em where they hide!

I find myself doing so unconsciously as well. My Wife finds it extra hilarious when we're at a Chinese restaurant and I start doing it.

As in I literally have no idea I'm even doing it, until she points it out, then I'm like damn.

My Mom was raised in West Virginia/Ohio and my Dad in Michigan. I learned growing up when visiting the respective releatives how to adopt and speak with the local dialects/jargon, so I am fluent in Mid-west and Hillbilly and use it as needed.

Another evil tactic that I'm totally telling my future sons, hang out at gay bars.

Though this is a good tactic in theory, if you're any bit decent looking you will get hit on and some gay guys today at these clubs are very aggressive. They do not like being told no, they take it as a challenge. I have been to a few with an ex girlfriend in the past and have even been groped. It's weird to realize what women have to deal with all the time.

My Mom was raised in West Virginia/Ohio and my Dad in Michigan. I learned growing up when visiting the respective releatives how to adopt and speak with the local dialects/jargon, so I am fluent in Mid-west and Hillbilly and use it as needed.

Most of my relatives are from West Virginia/Ohio/Pennsylvania area too (the sticks around Wheeling, Steubenville, Weirton), so I am also fluent in Hillbilly.

My grandfather had a still when he was younger. Told some great stories. People from that part of the country are very interesting. I enjoy them a lot.

Better than you would believe. Funny story, I have a friend (now married) of whom I ALMOST dated in college. We had a couple dates set up, but either weather or class or any number of things kept it from happening. Years later, maybe two years ago, I admitted to her the feminism thing. Now, we had been friends for close to ten years at this point. She thought about it and said "wow, thats a pretty good one. I think I probably would have got with you even if I knew it was a line"

I told her she was a lousy women's studies major at that point. She punched me in the arm. When I told my now-wife that I did that in college she said "I've heard way worse.... at least you learned something"

But yeah, works like gangbusters. Another evil tactic that I'm totally telling my future sons, hang out at gay bars. Straight women hang out at gay bars to get away from guys like you. Corner 'em where they hide!

Well it's too late for me, but I have 2 college aged kids. I will pass this along to them. I'll help keep the dream alive.:rockin:

So my story goes a little like this. My wife had been happily employed by a large bank as an assistant manager for over a year. She was consistently giving way more than was required. Going above and beyond. Quite the stellar employee if you ask me... All along, the manager has been doing many questionable practices - all in attempts to gain business. Nothing illegal, however, definitely breaking company policy. My wife has kinda turned a blind eye to it since it wasn't really hurting her.

Well, as of 2 weeks ago, their bank was audited (basically corporate big wigs come and inspect everything) and they didn't do well. The manager threw my wife unseen the bus on a few things - to the point that she was given disciplinary action that resulted in 1 more mistake, shed be fired. Fast forward to this past Tuesday, the manager messes up and called the area manager and said it was my wife's fault. Ipso facto, my wife got fired Thursday.

My question is, would it be unethical to call the company Ethics and Compliance Hotline to shed light on everything that the said manager is doing, which will inevitably result in disciplinary action for the manager? Solely to get back at her for what she did to our family...

janson745 said:
So my story goes a little like this. My wife had been happily employed by a large bank as an assistant manager for over a year. She was consistently giving way more than was required. Going above and beyond. Quite the stellar employee if you ask me... All along, the manager has been doing many questionable practices - all in attempts to gain business. Nothing illegal, however, definitely breaking company policy. My wife has kinda turned a blind eye to it since it wasn't really hurting her.

Well, as of 2 weeks ago, their bank was audited (basically corporate big wigs come and inspect everything) and they didn't do well. The manager threw my wife unseen the bus on a few things - to the point that she was given disciplinary action that resulted in 1 more mistake, shed be fired. Fast forward to this past Tuesday, the manager messes up and called the area manager and said it was my wife's fault. Ipso facto, my wife got fired Thursday.

My question is, would it be unethical to call the company Ethics and Compliance Hotline to shed light on everything that the said manager is doing, which will inevitably result in disciplinary action for the manager? Solely to get back at her for what she did to our family...

It should have been taken care of when it was happening, while she was in good light with the company and still employed. Now it will look like a disgruntled employee just trying to project the blame on someone else. Unethical, I don't believe so but she may come off as petty. Sorry for your situation.

I just had a great minor episode last night that fits the thread perfectly.

My shoemaker/shoe repair man in my neighborhood is a fixture. I'd say about 60 years old, works hard, has a whole social scene in his shop... real character... what most people think of (and should) when they think New York. So I go to pick up my sneaker that had a seperated sole and he says $5. Note that when I dropped them off he had said $6. I'm saving a buck here, but I figure that perhaps the repair wasnt as extensive as he originally thought.

I hand him a $20, and he goes about making me change, a ten and five ones.

So... being that he's always so pleasant and does such a good job I said "hey why dont you put one of the one dollar bills back in the drawer." He does so, all smiles and thank yous. I walk out feeling good that I maintained a business relationship and got a good deal on the repair.

Reach into my pocket to buy a seaweed and rice sandwich (thank you FamilyMart Japanese store!) and there are $15 in there. He had almost given me $16, short changing himself a buck.

I am rethinking my initial reaction now. Last night I thought "awesome! He got only the amount he quoted, but he thinks he got the amount he quoted and a tip! We both win!" Now Im not so sure. Now I think that while I obviously did nothing to cheat him that I should still walk several blocks from my house (if not today than the next time I am on Broadway) and explain and give him the dollar...

What do you think?

I'm sorry for your situation as well. I wish I had good advice, but I dont :(

My shoemaker/shoe repair man in my neighborhood is a fixture. I'd say about 60 years old, works hard, has a whole social scene in his shop... real character... what most people think of (and should) when they think New York. So I go to pick up my sneaker that had a seperated sole and he says $5. Note that when I dropped them off he had said $6. I'm saving a buck here, but I figure that perhaps the repair wasnt as extensive as he originally thought.

So... being that he's always so pleasant and does such a good job I said "hey why dont you put one of the one dollar bills back in the drawer." He does so, all smiles and thank yous. I walk out feeling good that I maintained a business relationship and got a good deal on the repair.

Reach into my pocket to buy a seaweed and rice sandwich (thank you FamilyMart Japanese store!) and there are $15 in there. He had almost given me $16, short changing himself a buck.

I am rethinking my initial reaction now. Last night I thought "awesome! He got only the amount he quoted, but he thinks he got the amount he quoted and a tip! We both win!" Now Im not so sure. Now I think that while I obviously did nothing to cheat him that I should still walk several blocks from my house (if not today than the next time I am on Broadway) and explain and give him the dollar...

What do you think?

Honestly I think he said yes to keeping an extra buck to make you feel better. He had $15 in hand from the outset and pretended to put one back. If he's that good a cobbler/character I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to repay him with more business. :)

CreamyGoodness said:

What do you think?

I say the best thing to do is to just keep giving him your business if he does quality work and maybe next time actually hand him a tip instead of asking him to take it from your change, a couple bucks or whatever seems fair.

I just replaced my old 40" TV with a new 60" model. Before I even got the new TV I had some people at my house and I mentioned I was going to get a new TV. Someone asked me what I was going to do with the old one. The guy is an acquantance. I don't see him very often. I told him I hadn't thought about it. He said he'd like to buy the old one. I came up with a price off the top of my head and he agreed.

After this two other people offered me $50 more for the TV. Obviously I underpriced it.

I ended up selling it to the first guy, but would I have been wrong to sell it to someone else? I could have told him I decided to keep it or something, but I kinda felt I had a handshake deal already.

Any opinions?

I just replaced my old 40" TV with a new 60" model. Before I even got the new TV I had some people at my house and I mentioned I was going to get a new TV. Someone asked me what I was going to do with the old one. The guy is an acquantance. I don't see him very often. I told him I hadn't thought about it. He said he'd like to buy the old one. I came up with a price off the top of my head and he agreed.

After this two other people offered me $50 more for the TV. Obviously I underpriced it.

I ended up selling it to the first guy, but would I have been wrong to sell it to someone else? I could have told him I decided to keep it or something, but I kinda felt I had a handshake deal already.

Any opinions?

I think you were right to sell it to the first guy. You agreed to a price, so in my mind the deal was done. If you were really mercenary you could have called him up and told him about the situation with the other guys and ask if he was still interested, but I really do think that would have been in poor taste.

I would absolutely report it - not to get revenge, but because it's the right thing to do. Obviously they will question why she didn't do it sooner, but she can say that she was fearful she would lose her job for reporting a superior. Bottom line, you have to report that kind of behavior.

b-boy said:

Any opinions?

I think you know you did the right thing.
Once I saw a certain vehicle for sale on Craigslist that I had been looking for and it was a good $1000 cheaper than everyone else was wanting for ones in worse condition. Well, I went and checked it out on my way out of town, told the guy I wanted it but was headed out of town and couldn't get all the money together until I get back. We agreed he'd hold it if I left a check for $500 that he wouldn't cash until I returned with the rest of the money. As I was there other people were showing up, but since I was the first there he took the for sale sign off and told them it was sold. When I returned the next week for it, he told me a lot of other people came by after I left and offered him much, much more money. He said he didn't feel right about selling it out from under me even if he could've made more money off the deal.

I think you know you did the right thing.
Once I saw a certain vehicle for sale on Craigslist that I had been looking for and it was a good $1000 cheaper than everyone else was wanting for ones in worse condition. Well, I went and checked it out on my way out of town, told the guy I wanted it but was headed out of town and couldn't get all the money together until I get back. We agreed he'd hold it if I left a check for $500 that he wouldn't cash until I returned with the rest of the money. As I was there other people were showing up, but since I was the first there he took the for sale sign off and told them it was sold. When I returned the next week for it, he told me a lot of other people came by after I left and offered him much, much more money. He said he didn't feel right about selling it out from under me even if he could've made more money off the deal.

I'd have to agree on this. I feel that once you make a deal it's a deal. Similar situation happened to me about five years back (a few months after the hurricane hit Mexico). GF and I were moving in together and I needed to get rid of the stuff we had doubles of (mainly the mattresses I had). Put a free ad on CL in the morning. After a few shady people called a guy called and I agreed to meet him that night so he could pick everything up. After that I had a few more calls before I took the ad down and several people offered money (the highest was $200). I declined. When the guy got there that night he had his wife and mother with him. Turns out her house had been destroyed in the hurricane along with all her belongings and the guy's two brothers were in Mexico rebuilding it. They were trying to get furnishings so she could live there again. Because I had pretty much everything but a sofa (they had picked one up earlier) she was able to move home a few months before she thought she was able to. I could have taken 200 for it but having a little old Mexican lady say I was blessed was far more valuable. They even sent me a picture a month or so later of the house - must say my things looked quite nice south of the border!
Anyway, the first deal you make (as the seller) is the one that should be kept. Imagine if the guy had come to you later and said he found the same tv for $50 less than you agreed to - would you expect to take less???

Ok, I got one. I don't think there are any laws against doing this, so, is it unethical to knowingly sell homebrew kit to people under 21?
At some time I would have said it was unethical. For some reason, until recently (I'm 23) it never occurred to me, despite knowing in theory how beer and wine are made, that it would be easy to make my own.

I guess all you need to make booze is yeast and sugar. Both are easy to find anywhere. However, without quality ingredients and knowledge of the right processes, the quality would probably be pretty bad, enough to get drunk on but not enough to enjoy drinking.

So an argument could be made that it would be more ethical to sell high-quality supplies and ingredients to that person.

How about a related question: say you work at a grocery store, and someone who looks underage (assuming you're in the US) comes up to you with 5 gallons of grape juice and a big jar of bread yeast and nothing else. Is it ethical to sell to them?

If you work for the store, is it ethical to refuse to sell to them?

you live out in the country and hit a deer with your truck. The deer breaks a couple legs and has to be put down. Do you do it yourself and keep the meat, or do you call the staters who won't make it there until the deer has suffered and it's meat spoiled?

you live out in the country and hit a deer with your truck. The deer breaks a couple legs and has to be put down. Do you do it yourself and keep the meat, or do you call the staters who won't make it there until the deer has suffered and it's meat spoiled?
At least in my state, you can take possession of the deer as long as you subsequently inform a wildlife officer within 24 hours, so I don't think there would be an ethical issue.

I bought an extra propane tank from HD. The gal charged me the price of a refill. I told her that was not the correct price. She double checked it again on her cashier machine and said yes this is the correct price. I ended up getting the tank for probably 15 bucks less than it should have been.

Carried it to my car, felt guilty and pulled up to the outdoor garden section of HD. I talked to her again and said I'm really sure this is not the correct price for a new tank. She assured me it was. She was wrong, I felt a bit guilty. But I do own the tank now. I felt pretty crappy about the whole situation but in the end took the tank home for a bargain price.

What should I have done differently?

She may have been correct. The first tank I bought from Walmart, she said they do not have a price for a new tank, and it was policy to charge for a refill instead.

Unfortunately, in my state, you hit a moose (800lb to 1600lb), you're probably going to be waiting for the officials anyway, since in most cases your vehicle will destroyed and you may be injured or worse.
They will then notify the next group on the list for claiming moose road kills.

Little side fact: here in South Central Alaska an average of 250 Moose are struck by vehicles each winter.

Are moose in Alaska like white tail are here in NY? No natural predators other than the automobile?

They definitely have natural predators, primarily wolves but also bears, especially when they are young. I have spent many years hunting out of McGrath about an hour flight west of here and the wolves have been increasing, while the moose are decreasing. We were sitting on my friend's deck up at his cabin about half a day's boat ride up the Kuskokwim and counted no less 53 wolves working the banks of the river 3 seasons ago. some of them might have been the same wolves coming in from a different direction but the locals said that there were 3 very large packs in the area.

Where i live you can eat roadkill. If its whitetail you only have to call and notify local law enforcement within a certain amount of time. Unless the law strictly prohibits I feel it would be unethical to let the animal suffer and or go to waste

blh3d said:
Where i live you can eat roadkill. If its whitetail you only have to call and notify local law enforcement within a certain amount of time. Unless the law strictly prohibits I feel it would be unethical to let the animal suffer and or go to waste

Law and ethics are unrelated in a lot of cases which is the gist of the proposed scenario. For example: I hit a big buck in Montana while working late at night and I didn't take it home because if I had and got pulled over I would have got a huge ticket. I'm sure it suffered but because it had a big rack I would definitely been in trouble. You have to report such things to the MFW&P only when it's a traffic hazard. They take non spoiled game to food banks which is great. But 1am it's getting eating by a yote which isn't a waste in most eyes but to me it is. Kill all yotes!

Here's one that I could use some help on. My coworker I sit across from is Indian both genetically and by nationality. When his father fell ill he returned to India for a while, has an Indian passport, lived in Mumbai until he was 30. Point being, he is Indian.

We are on friendly terms.

Friday I found an article when I was going through the news that Lady Di was part Indian. I told him and sent him the article, thinking he would be interested.

Did I cross any sort of line?

Yup! Turns out that not only is it a fact, it was hidden up. The royal family wasnt very pleased about it.

When Prince William takes the thrown, he will be the first monarch in the UK to have Indian blood.

CreamyGoodness said:
When Prince William takes the thrown, he will be the first monarch in the UK to have Indian blood.

Takes the thrown what? What's been thrown and where is he taking it? :D

Back