New "cider" recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
I came up with this today and decided to make it. I used 4 gallons of regular store brand apple juice, 64 ozS of oceanspray cranberry pomegranate 100% juice, 1 lb of dark brown sugar and 1 1/2 lbs of corn sugar. Yeast was Wyeast English ale. I figured I would let it ferment out similar to apfelwein. What do you think??

I'm not completely familiar with using that particular yeast, but you might not get it down to completely dry. (Which may or may not be a bad thing) I'd be willing to be with that much sugar you might produce so much alcohol that the environment is too toxic for that strain. Do you recall what your original gravity was?

It was close to 1.068 at room temp which was around 72f. I checked it this morning and had no activity in the airlock, so I think the yeast may have been bad. I washed it from a batch of pale ale I made a couple weeks ago. If there is no activity today when I get off work I am going to pitch some more in, I have some washed champaign yeast from a batch of apfelwein I made last month that I could use also.

I assume there were no preservatives in your juice? Champagne yeast is fairly inexpensive, you might just consider pitching a new pack. But yeast from a previous batch should work also.

There is a little bit of yeast activity in the airlock this afternoon but not like it should be, I am pitching a bigger starter and going to toss it in.

Back